Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Need Help on creating Apartment Management for Maintenance on an Intranet or local PC

Hi,
    I am new to webpage development (like I took a class in college) and would like to get some opinions on what is the best approach for the least price with the following to requirements:

1. A aerial view of the entire property complex that I can hover over any building to select a closer view of that building.
    2. Next would be a succession of closer, or narrower views by selecting floor, then an individual apartment.
    3. The apartment view would give me the layout plan and model for that apartment that I am selecting.
    4. Next would give me a list of appliances, ie dishwasher, refrigerator, stove/oven, HVAC unit.
    5. Also the ability to add and track maintenance issues with the appliances, and any other like plumbing, electrical, drywall, paint or other standard items.
    6. Once I select any of these, I would like the ability to recover the previous documented information and maybe attach a picture of a problem or repair.

I have one more request that I don't know if it is possible, but the ability to run this off a local computer with wifi access so that my repair techs can connect to the connection in the office and retrieve their work orders assigned by me each day for the specific apartment. I know this is a lot to ask, but like I said, I am new to this and would love to have this type of ability to keep my techs on task and up to date whenever they reconnect to the local intranet. I don't even know if the intranet would be the right direction, but I don't have funding for all of this, and just thought of taking it on because it sounded like fun to learn how to do.

Thank you for any/everyone's input.

Ken the aspiring "Apartment Maintenance Manager"
    Last edited by Polarismo700; Jan 19th, 2019 at 09:44 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    I will first comment on the work order assignment part. If you have a website, the techs can log in anywhere and get the work orders. They will have a username and password. But how do you do the work orders currently? That work order part would have to be done on the website as well. By using a website, you could actually text message the techs and they could view everything from their personal smart phones, or they could log in and view the work orders whenever they want. Better yet if they all had iPads with cellular connection, but that would be expensive.

The hover, drill-down part would require some graphic images of each part. PNG images of every "layer". And of course the database for attaching work orders, equipment info, repairs, etc. to each appliance or part of a building. Again, all of this would have to be on your website.

When I say "website", I mean a shared webhost account (example GoDaddy). Your website would have an SQL database and all of the administrative parts for the graphical displays, and all of the tech parts for your field techs. None of this is visible to the public. Different log-ins would yield different abilities of accessing the website.

The website that the public can see would be information about apartment rental, etc. Your apartment tenants would have a log-in to report a problem, or submit a "work order" for something that is wrong. Like a "fix ticket"

You would seek out a freelance programmer to do any of the scripting that you are not able to do. You will also have to put all of your existing management stuff on your website ... but I have no idea what software you are already using.

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    I want to add that Code Canyon has some pre-made PHP/SQL scripts for apartment management.
    Search Google: apartment management php script

Not having the specific options you want, but there are management scripts you can buy.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    I want to add that Code Canyon has some pre-made PHP/SQL scripts for apartment management.
    Search Google: apartment management php script

Not having the specific options you want, but there are management scripts you can buy.
    Thank you for your reply and the info on pre-made scripts. I have never heard of PHP, but will look it up.
    We do have a website that the tenants can use to enter their own work orders, but it will only print out the work orders or a summary of all open work orders including apartment, problem, date, ect. I currently scan the printed document into a pdf, then convert it into a spreadsheet to manipulate and give to my 4 employees. I don't have a budget for anything and have been doing round a bout ways to try and get something better to manage. I don't have access to the website maintenance logging software either, just the printouts.

Note;
    I might be trying to hard to make this all work or wasting my own time without the proper programs or hosting site.
    My other issue is the tracking of supplies without a budget to do that either. I am buying a barcode scanner and plan on using Access or Excel to start tracking our inventory and usage. This too might be a waste of my time too. I am just interested to see what I can get done at work more efficiently and quickly track work and inventories to reorder.

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    I want to be clear on this. Are you the maintenance company or do you also own the properties?

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    As Delstu says, let us know what your position is ... you say you have a website where tenants can submit a work order. Do you have access to that site (like the owner), or are you using the owner's website to get work orders? Are you getting everything by email, or are you getting things from going to a website?

If you had to get your own webhost account to handle maintenance functions, would you be willing to pay $60 per year? That's $5 a month. Not very expensive. The work order part where you get the list from tenants and you assign the jobs to the techs might be fairly easy to do.

Explain more about your position, your ownership, your level of importance and relationship to the apartment complex.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by delstu View Post
    I want to be clear on this. Are you the maintenance company or do you also own the properties?
    I am the apartment maintenance manager that works for the maintenance management company, they do not own the property.

Member #
    The property management company has been working with the owner to sell off the apartment complex so they have little interest in doing what I would like to do.
    They use an online management software called onsite.
    If did host my own site, it would be out of my own pocket without company approval. That is why I was thinking of doing something local through a wifi / adhoc connection.
    If ya'll think this wont be able to work like I hope it would, I can just drop the whole idea and pray that the new owner and subsequent property manager will let me do something like I would like to do.

I couldn't figure this out solely on my own, so I was reaching out to anyone in this forum to give me some insight.
    Thank you
    Last edited by Polarismo700; Jan 19th, 2019 at 02:17 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    So when the apartment complex gets "sold off", what happens to the maintenance company and yourself?

What you want to do can be done ... but it will require either a website or your own server, which is not something for beginners. I think you're in a mode now where you should wait and see what happens.

Will you stay there and work for a 'new' maintenance management company?

Just out of curiosity, how do you get the work orders now? Do they email you something, or just hand you some papers?
    Last edited by mlseim; Jan 19th, 2019 at 02:54 PM.

Member #
    We don't know what happens when the property sells and changes property management companies. This is a concern to everyone. I honestly been looking for other employment and will probably just move on from all of this.
    We get our work orders just from a printout. I looked at their software before to see if I could highlight, copy and paste into excel, but it will not allow copying that way. Nobody at work knows how to export the work orders either. I have been letting my manager know what I have been trying to do, and they are supportive.

Part of the interest in this for me is that it just sounded fun to try to do.

Also, your right, I know that I could not host my own server to pull this off.

Can anyone recommend software to build the site offline without a server just to show a shell for my manager or to show off for a future employer?
    The ability to have an birds eye view that goes down to the individual apartment would be preferred. I don't know wording to search for something like that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads