Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Help & Ideas please on an interactive number grid..

Hi

I hope someone can help/point me in the right direction.

I'll explain what i'm trying to achieve..!

On a page, i'd like to make a numbered 324 square grid (The numbers 1-324 in separate boxes. 18 columns / 18 rows.)

The user clicks the numbered grid square of their choice which is placed into their shopping cart.
    Once 'purchased' the number they chose changes colour - say from green to orange - and doesn't allow any other user to select that number until the grid has been reset (by me at a later date.)

It's a web site i'm making for a deaf club i help out at, i'm using wix and dreamweaver. My understanding is ok but pretty basic e.g i've made myself and the club
    some html pages with some java in the past!

Any help appreciated about the best/easiest way to go about it!

Many thanks

Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    You'll need a way to save the status of the grid, which will require server-side scripting. I don't think you can do that with Wix. The graphical user interface will be JQuery/javascripting, but since everyone is working off the same grid, the array of grids needs to be saved somewhere common. In the case of a website that is on the webhost server (a database file on your website). Also, you need to use PHP, which I don't think you can do with Wix.

You could get your own webhost account with a domain name for $40 the first year and $55 after that (www.cleverdot.com).
    That's less then $5 per month.

With that, you can do everything. But you'll have to create your website too ... because it's not WIX.

Is that all it is ... just the grid of numbers and they turn green? And only you can reset it?
    If you never have to edit anything else, it could be done on someone else's website and you can use an <iframe> to insert it into a WIX webpage. I think WIX allows <frame> and <iframe>?

EDIT:
    See an example I made of a grid with numbers. The grid is responsive so it collapses on different screen sizes. Clicking a number opens a pop-up that can contain information and a button or link to Add To Cart.

http://www.catpin.com/grid

Also, if each person has a cart and it needs to remember that, you will need to have each person log-in. Otherwise, how will a script know who is viewing the grid? Your viewer will see the ones they selected too. The color could change for numbers that the user previously added to their cart. This will all use PHP/SQL/JQuery,AJAX

You can't do this on WIX
    Last edited by mlseim; Jan 22nd, 2019 at 05:29 PM.

Remove Ads