Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

D_T
    Member #

How to retrieve quotes from other sites

Hi All,

Very new to web designing and still trying to work out if it is something I am any good at.

I have an idea for a site that I would like to build but need to see if it is actually possible before I go committing too much time to it.

I'm trying to put together a site, similar to Trivago (but nothing to do with travel / accom) where people can enter in certain information that the site then sends off and populates on other websites to retrieve a quote which is then displayed back on my site. I'm hoping to be able to also have people make the payment through my site or use an affiliate link to get to the providers site.

I've had a good look over the net but all I can find is info on webcrawlers / price scrapers. Is this what I am looking for? If not, can someone tell me what the name / terminology is that I need to be looking for.

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    295 times
    I am somewhat confused. Who will pay and what will they be paying for and why will they be willing to pay?

Member #
    Have you tried googling your subject matter with “api” to see whether there are particular APIs for various suppliers within that area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    The "other sites" you are scraping need to give you permission to do so. Or they should be giving you permission instead of you just scraping their data without regard to copyrights or ethics. That's what API is for. An example of an API ... I can create my own Google Map mashup by using Google's Map API. Google gives me permission to use their Map Engine on my own website. They limit my usage (for free), or make me pay for extended usage.

Another API example ... I use a free API on site where I can get real-time data on aircraft within a radius of my airport:
    https://public-api.adsbexchange.com/...stL=0&fDstU=50

I then use an ESP32 (wifi controller) along with a PHP script to physically light up some LEDs on an airport map to display which runways are being used, and how much air traffic there is at the moment.

Remove Ads