Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Help with Simple Website

I created this very simple site some years ago using Freeway Express, which is no longer in business. Iím trying to redo my site in WordPress, but I am having trouble with the themes. I really want it to look the same as before, but the themes force the look to be a certain way. What do you reccomend?

I don't want to use a program that may be out of business in a few years, and have to start over again.

Thanks!

https://www.johnholdenhealing.com/

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    You will never be able to find a WordPress theme that looks exactly like that. You'll have to settle on something that is more modern and is responsive, so it can be viewed and operated on desktops, laptops, tablets, and smartphones.

Maybe it would be best to simply go to square.com and subscribe to a hosting package where you create your own site using their templates and all of the square credit card processing is part of the website. Since John Holden provides a service, as a business, that might be a good way to go.

This one is all about "healing":
    https://om-demo.squarespace.com/

Note that all of the images, fonts, etc. are customized by the site builder.

You can also add a "booking" appointment app to your Square website:
    https://squareup.com/help/us/en/arti...e-appointments

Their business sites are $18 per month, and that includes all of the webhosting.

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    I don't know that you can count on anything being around 10 or 20 years from now even if it is popular now. Way back FrontPage was the program everyone was using and it totally fell out of favor with DreamWeaver taking it's place as the hot choice. Now no one uses DreamWeaver and WordPress is the choice for about 27% of web sites with Wix SquareSpace and a few others being popular as well. Things change fast just like with cell phones. A little over a decade ago Blackberry was everyone's dream phone with Nokia being the other hot choice.

I think you need to consider how important keeping that look is. As you mentioned most WordPress themes have a predefined look. I think you would have pretty much the same issue with any site builder like SquareSpace or Wix. Perhaps you should think seriously about going for a more modern and conventional look then you could use anything you wanted including WordPress or SquareSpace.

If you are dead set on keeping the current look there may be some options. Before I go on let me say that some of the others here such as misium have a million times the knowledge and expertise than I do so if I give you a bum steer hopefully someone will correct me. Your current site is really pretty simple. You have an image at the top, a background color, a sidebar and a menu at the bottom. There is a WordPress theme called "Blank Slate". As the name implies it gives you a blank slate to create a page any way you want. I have never used that theme but it is popular for those who want to set up a site the way they want it. It might also be possible to get pretty close by using a free theme and then setting up a child theme to make the theme display the way you want. The third possibility would be to just code the site in HTML and CSS using a bootstrap framework so it would be responsive.
    Last edited by turboguy; Mar 03rd, 2019 at 08:40 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    @turboguy is right. You have a site you like but you lost the ability to edit the content. It all depends on how much money you have and how much technical ability. If you only need to change some small amount of content, you can edit the files using any text editor. How about keeping the site and letting us know what it is that you are wanting to do. Also let us know who your webhost is (example GoDaddy). It might be easier than you think. And if you are only wanting to change small sections of content, it wonít take much at all.
    Last edited by mlseim; Mar 03rd, 2019 at 07:58 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    If you are happy with the site the way it is and only want to make small edits miseim is right. You might find it pretty easy to just make the changes on your existing site. You would want to use an FTP program to get your files. My favorite FTP program is Filezilla which is free. It may seem confusing at first when you work with it but it is pretty straightforward. You log into your site and your hosting company can tell you how to do that. There will be two boxes. One box shows the files in your site and the other shows your files on your computer. Move through the files on your site util you find the file you want to work on. You just click on the file you want and copy it over to your computer. Then you can edit it using a text editor. Then you log back in with your FTP and drag the file from your computer to the server and it will overwrite the old file. If you just need to reword some text that is the easy way to go.

If you go that route don't use "Word" as your editor. It will add some things you don't want. I believe notepad and wordpad are two good choices. You should have one or both on your computer already.

Member #
    Thank you for all the thoughtful responses!

I will add that I have an imac, and host through Web Hosting Hub. I've done more research and have found several mac friendly web design software packages that can make sites from scratch (which I think I will like better than WordPress.)

1. Sparkle. My first choice so far. Great reviews on the mac app store.
    2. Blocs 3 for Mac. Good editorial reviews, but can't find user reviews yet.
    3. EverWeb. Good reviews, but requires yearly subscription to keep active. Does have phone support, which is nice.
    4. Rapid Weaver. Bad reviews on app store. Expensive add ons.

If anyone has experience or advice on these, please share!

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    No iMac experience for me.

Remove Ads