Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

ASA
    Member #

Facebook Type WebSite - Need help in chosing

Hi All,
    My first posting on this forum

I would like to create a social network site that is almost identical to what FaceBook does.

There would be a few additions I would make that would differentiate it from FaceBook including the use of Google Maps

My web design experience thus far is limited to the creation of a WordPress Site.

QUESTION:
    Any recommendations regarding a theme/template that would take away all the "heavy lifting" regarding the FaceBook type functionality so that I can concentrate on my differentiating features???

Thank you

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    How much are you willing to pay?
    You do realize that using Google Maps will not be free.
    Beyond the fees for Google Maps, you will need a secure site, and possibly a virtual or dedicated server. This shouldn't be done on a basic shared webhost (like GoDaddy). Again, you'll have to pay for this. What is your budget?

You might be able to offset your costs by using ads? But are your users willing to have ads embedded or popping up?
    Last edited by mlseim; May 19th, 2019 at 05:19 PM.

ASA
    Member #
    Hi,

I am using SiteGround, the top tier they offer before a dedicated host. In the past that has been great.. if the traffic ever increases to the point where I would need a dedicated host the money would not be a problem.
    I am currently using Google Maps at no charge. Once again, if they do start charging because of increased volume of traffic it would not be an issue

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You can replace all "heavy" plugins with lighter and faster ones.

Remove Ads