Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mlseim

Thread: Just Out of Curiosity & Advice

Member #
    Liked
    186 times

Just Out of Curiosity & Advice

Just out of curiosity, I checked the firewall on one of our newer sites this morning to see how many wannabe hacks were against it.

I'm sure everyone has heard never to use Admin as your username on any admin login page, so here is what I saw.

The site has had over 100 attempts in the last 4 hours to hack into the site from countries all over the world including the US and Canada.

Most all of the attempts tried the username Admin, and the rest of them were the site domain name. The firewall blocked every one of the wannabe hacks against the site. They were also humans and not bots trying to get into the Admin area of the site.

I think the free version of Wordfence will also show you basically the same things under Tools.

I would suggest that if you use either of those as a username to change it to something more secure.

For anyone not knowing how to change your Username and Password on a Wordpress site:

Go to your cPanel > php my admin

Once in your php my admin open your database only and then open WP users

Click on Edit and it will give you the option to change the Username.

Change the Username you have now that you see.

At the bottom of the page Click on Go. It will then send you back to a page showing your edit.

Refresh that page and your username has been changed. Be sure to check and make sure.

Log out of cPanel and log into your website Admin area using the new Username and your regular password.

Go to Users and you should see the new Admin account with your new Username.

Click on Edit under the new Username

Scroll down and click on Generate Password.

You can delete the generated password and put a new password in that you want, and make sure both are strong.

Once you change your password be sure to click on save.

Log out and then log back in with your new login details to make sure you got everything done correctly.
    Last edited by bleau canon; May 19th, 2019 at 09:46 AM.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    @bleau,
    You would think we would all be aware of this, but you are correct ... not everyone realizes the consequences of using "Admin" for the username. It would be interesting to know how many people still use "password" as their password.
    bleau canon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    186 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    @bleau,
    You would think we would all be aware of this, but you are correct ... not everyone realizes the consequences of using "Admin" for the username. It would be interesting to know how many people still use "password" as their password.
    You're 100% correct. I remember seeing "password" recently for a Username a hacker was trying to use. Most likely he was using that as a password too.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Remove Ads