Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: submission fee

Member #

submission fee

Hi I have a question and maybe some of you know!

I have an idea for a website where the user can upload something on my website for sale. Almost like Ebay. A person who, for example, wants to sell a used car can then make a post with pictures and review and I take a small fee to let him do so. Is it possible to do with some kind of website like wix, or do I need to learn how to do it myself?

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    I don't think it can be done with Wix. They don't allow the server-side scripting required to make that work. But you can get a shared webhost for $40 with a domain name (cleverdot.com) for the 1st year .. about $55 after that per year. I'm not advertising for them, but I've used them in the past.

Then you would have to use perhaps a wordpress site with plug-ins for "clones" to ebay or some other "bid or buy-now" system.

All of that does require some technical abilities. But you could hire a freelancer to help you.

Just know that what you want to do won't be free. You're starting a business, so expect to pay for some capital expenses to build your business. It's going to be a LOT of work to keep your business running. A lot of moderating and administering the website. I mean like full-time, not just build-it and sit back and relax. You have to deal with disputes, credit card problems, advertising, customer problems, etc.

Good luck though. In my opinion, I think the whole thing might be too much if you are the only person involved.

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Aside from the technical issues do you have something in mind that would encourage people to post their items for sale on your site rather than used Craigslist which is free and has an enormous reach?

Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    What past experience do you have?

As mlseim says it will require expenses to get everything going unless you can do the coding and programming yourself. Not going to be very cheap.

Then you will need someone to do an extensive amount of digital marketing to really break into this market. Even if I were willing to take on a project like this I would charge about $10,000 per month. It's that much work in a market like this. And I don't like many projects this hard to promote. I really have to believe in them.
    Last edited by delstu; Jun 26th, 2019 at 11:40 PM.

Remove Ads