Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Why oh why?

Member #

Why oh why?

May I please be allowed a tiny little moan addressed to those who design professional webpages?

The way that all sites display videos seems to me to be flawed. I'm not a designer so maybe I am asking the impossible, but can't videos be displayed in a box with spare space below for all the gubbins that currently invades the video space? I have two screen grabs to show what a mess video display currently is.

stupid design 2.jpg
    stupid design 1.jpg

As you see there is a lot wrong here.

the progress bar is on top of the video not below it
    the up next banner obscures the image
    the next video automatically plays which is SOOO annoying
    If I went full screen a darn great banner tells me to pres ESC to exit that mode. Hello? I do know that!!

On Netflix, things are worse. In trying too hard Netflix make their site almost unusable, at least on a normal desktop. I saw a video once of how Netflix boasted how much effort they put into their UI but sadly their efforts have failed in my view!

If any designer is reading this and is feeling a wee bit embarrassed or indignant at my nativity, please do tell all!! LOL.

Oh and finally, I tried a tag "UI" which seemed appropriate but your web design said the tag was too short!!! Ha. Ha.

Member #
    Bump. No one interested in a valid complaint? No one willing to add an informed comment?

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    Designing websites isn't easy. You have multiple browsers, each one allowing some things that other browsers don't. You have multiple computers, devices, screen sizes and download speeds. Some people have great ISP access with high speeds, others are in areas where connection is slow and sketchy. Some are in areas that don't even allow their citizens to view the websites.

Try to design a site that functions for everyone ... it's not possible.

But I see where you're coming from. It is what it is. You could try your hand at designing a website. Your complaints would change from how videos look on the screen to how you can even get them to work in the first place. Web development is a frustrating world.

Member #
    Thank you for your comments. Maybe my moan should be addressed not to designers but to those who decide on standards then. The next level up!. I have designed many websites but using Wordpress or PHP so I don't class myself as a web designer or builder. I thereforeaccept that when it comes to inserting a video in a page, one is limited by the facilities and standards on offer so it is maybe out of the hands of the programmer himself. So I will redirect my moan at whoever set the specs for the iframe and other functions in the first place!!

Member #
    design fail5.jpg

Here is another example. In this case the article needs to be scrolled down but right in the middle, shown by yellow, is a totally unrelated photo and caption but with no deliniation to show this is not part of the story. This totally confused me as I assumed the photo related to the article and couldn't fathom why it wasn't mentioned in the text.

Now no one can blame anyone except the web developer here surely?

And who decided that long stories should be scrolled rather than paged and why? Paging on a phone screen works just as well so mobile usage can't be an excuse.

Part of the trouble is the attempt to monetise websites which necessitates plonking obtrusive adverts and promotions everywhere. But that isn't the only solution is it? Subscription for ad-free sites is one answer. A universal fee to use the internet in order to be ad-free is another.

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    Subscriptions are the answer now. It is pretty common to eliminate ads on a website by paying a fee. That of course is determined on a site by site basis. If a user does not wish to pay a fee or wish to see ads, then they simply don't use that website. But to have a fee to use the internet ... that is a problem. Nobody "owns" the internet. There is 'no one person' to pay. We (most people) already pay a fee to "access" the internet. That is a fee to compensate a company to use their equipment, cables, satellites, antennas, employees, maintenance, etc. to allow me access to the "web" of interconnected servers. Places that allow free ISPs or free public access are still paid by people ... taxpayers (governments). .

Anyone that "owns" a website is most likely renting space on a shared webhost's server. That webhost has to pay to maintain their hardware, software, employees. I can utilize Google Adsense to compensate for the fees I pay to have a website (shared webhost fees). If my site is personal, that is one thing, but if my site is for a business, then my goal is to feed my family. I need to monetise ... that's the whole point.

Member #
    The "internet" made a rod for its own back at the start by wanting to be open and free. As businesses took over, yes, they wanted to monetise their sites of course. The cost of setting up , hosting and running my own paltry websites was insignificant and with membership only in the few hundreds, there was little chance of making a profit, not that I wanted to.

The low cost of my old websites suggest that the creation, hosting and maintenance of a commercial website are not the major expense. Rather it is producing the content I'd imagine.

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    A webhost would be the person(s) or company that owns the hardware (servers and mass storage) to allow people like us to rent space on their servers. They give us the "connection" that enables the DNS servers to find our "space" on their servers, as they are always running and connected 99.8% of the time ... or whatever they guarantee.

But as I "rent" my space on the webhost's server, I don't just have 'web pages' ... I can store anything that I want. I have a lot of things stored on the webhost's SQL database, and I can utilize PHP, Perl, Python to do whatever scripting I wish. My "website" can be my own personal cloud. I have a bunch of remote wifi controllers that collect physical data in the real world. These store data on my website. The tiny wifi microcontrollers themselves can host and serve their own mini web pages. ESP32, ESP8266, Electric Imp, Rasberry Pi, etc. I have maybe 6 web pages that I "serve" or allow the public to see. The rest of my website is all for me only. My own personal use.

I guess my point is ... the internet is not about "web pages" or "web sites". It's all about stored information that can be accessed by computers/browsers from anywhere in the world (that is connected to the internet). It's an amazing amount of hardware and infrastructure that costs a lot of money to build and operate. You are discussing the internet from a perspective of a person that wants to have people (members) use YOUR web pages to experience YOUR world. Websites and web pages themselves are becoming less important and I personally don't really care what they 'look like'. Your discussion here is interesting, but I think you are viewing all of this through a very narrow window. "web pages" and "web page design" is such a miniscule part of it.

Member #
    I see your point. There is also the IoT to consider. In the beginning we were able to piggy-back on the network initially setup by the military and others. It always amazes me how any company can afford the vast server farms and cloud storage facilities today. Google alone has acre upon acre of servers across the globe. Incredible. It all has to be paid for alas. Which brings me back to how it is paid for. At present the model whereby ads are tailored to the viewer and served up higgledee-pigledee (is that how you spell it?) is one aspect I find annoying. The current practice of Youtube having commercial breaks in short videos is especially trying. I'd rather subscribe to Youtube now and avoid the ads. Maybe YT deliberately makes its ads annoying to encourage us to subscribe? Surely not? LOL.

For the average user, webpages are what the internet is all about. I agree it is far more than that but my concerns relate to the public face of the internet.

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    There is yet another aspect to the "User Interface" (UI). In some countries, such as Lagos Nigeria, there are poverty areas where students barely have access to the internet. I helped a guy in Lagos to create a CBT (Computer Based Training) system for an education organization. They bring in around 50 students to take an online proficiency test. They somehow scraped together 50 old laptops. Some of them are older Windows XP up to Windows 7. I think they were all using Internet Explorer, but not sure of the revision. I was forced to write all of the PHP, JQuery (AJAX) to perform and operate on Internet Explorer ... I believe they are using IE back to IE 7.0

So now you have to consider the audience that you are designing for. Which part of the world are they located at? Try designing for IE 7.0 You think it might be easy, but you have to think "outside the box". Windows XP was around 2006. The students taking the online tests are using laptops older than they are.

Remove Ads