Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #

New website question

Hello to the group!

I am a skipper on small yachts and would like to build a personal blog/webpage to store and present photos from the trips and receive feedbacks from my clients on my services on these trips.
    I imagine this as an extremely simple structure with 2 main sections. First intro page to have a small summary of myself and my contact details. The main section "My trips" to include info (photos, text) about my trips.
    The features I would like to have on the "My trips" section are:

- To create new posts/pages with a title (trip name), text descriptions and photos.
    - To allow others (my clients) to upload photos on the same page.
    - To allow others (my clients) to post comments below the page, considering this to be also their feedback.

That's all!

I have searched on some popular site builders like Weebly or Wix and found it hard to find such a straight forward layout. All their template pages were more complex than I need.
    A website that seemed closer to my idea is blogger.com but I think it is very outdated?

One can say that all I need is a Facebook page, but I would like to have a website out of Fb.

Any ideas about the best approach or which website builder I should use for my purposes?

Thanks in advance.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    It's sort of a tough question to answer because those of us with programming experience would just subscribe to a webhost and do it. But you don't have that experience, so you may have to either go with a free wordpress site (have it hosted by wordpress), or hire someone to create a wordpress site on a shared webhost. Having it hosted on wordpress ... you would still have to learn how to use wordpress and deal with a domain name other than the one they give you.

So let's say you decide to have your own website with your own domain name. You can find a cheap webhost like cleverdot.com and get a webhost account AND domain name for about $40 for the 1st year and $60 after that. That's a whole year price, so about $4.50 per month? That's cheap. And that includes your domain name.

The domain name: skipperalfani.com is not yet taken

Then you need to have wordpress installed as your website platform and find a wordpress theme that matches what you want to do. Then someone to go in and customize it for you, etc. So all of that costs money.

You'll have to determine how much you are willing to spend.
    If you are doing this for a business (your own personal charter business), then you would consider it to be a business cost.

That brings you back to FaceBook, which has the features you want, it's free, but it's FaceBook.

Would you be willing to spend $500, $1000, or ??

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    And I mention wordpress because that would be the cheapest installation and customization. You will have to learn how to do posts and work it, but it would have all of the features you want without anything extra. To do a custom website by hand (not wordpress) would be really expensive to have a freelance programmer do it.

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    My thoughts are there are issues with site builder sites such as weebly and or Wix. One of the main ones is portability. If you ever want to move it you basically have to start over from scratch.

My suggestion would be WordPress. There are however two Wordpresses. The one at WordPress.com is not the one I would recommend. The one at WordPress.org is the one I would suggest. However you don't even have to go on WordPress.org to use it. It can be installed from most hosting accounts with one click.

WordPress started out as a blogging platform so the blogging part works well. It has become one of the main and most powerful methods of crating a web site. Currently 27% of all web sites are WordPress. Here is what I see as the pluses for WordPress. There are thousands of templates available and many free ones that can help you build a nice site quickly. There are thousands of plugins that can add any kind of feature you ever want to add and most have a free version or are free. WordPress itself is also free. There are tons of tutorials on YouTube that show you how to do it. Because it is so popular if you want to hire someone to create it for you it would be less expensive than having something custom made but it does seem like a lot of web designers are using WordPress as their standard platform.

What you would need is a domain name which you can get at places like GoDaddy, NameCheap, Hostgator and many more places. Some hosting will give you the domain for free otherwise it will be $ 10 -15.00 a year. You need hosting. If you watch the tutorials on YouTube most will recommend Hostgator and give you a discount code (which also gives them a kickback. HostGator is not my favorite host but they are sorta ok. My own favorite is SiteGround. They are terrific and not expensive. Once you have hosting in the control panel you have a one click set up for WordPress. (If you order your hosting my phone with SiteGround they usually will set it up for you and install a theme at no charge.

If you wish to go this route and want a free theme I would suggest the Vantage theme which is easy to work with and looks great. There are many posts here by bleau canon and you might want to search and read her posts. She has one that is a work in progress about how she sets up a site with the Vantage theme.

Member #
    Thanks a lot for your answers and advice. As I looked again on Wix templates, I found a category named "blank templates" which looks to be closer to what I look for. https://www.wix.com/website-template/view/html/1571
    Apart from changing the images and text to suit me, I would just add a blog section, to upload texts and photos of the trips.
    I am wondering if it will be easy to allow anyone to post and comment on my blog or if I will need to give access to each one individually or if it will be required to have a Wix account.
    However I will also try WordPress.org as you suggest to be better.

In terms of the functionality of the site I will create, does it make any difference to buy a domain name? Or is it only about having a unique url name?
    Is there also a limit in the total data that can be stored on my website if it is for free?

Member #
    I just tried to download and install WordPress.org but the install.php file does not run on my internet explorer.

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Running WordPress on your own computer is not the easiest way to go. Most people develop their site on the hosting account. It can be run on your computer but there are other things you need to download so it isn't something that you might want to try. You can Google how to run WordPress on your computer if you want to see what else you need to download.

If you do it on a hosting account everything else you need is there for you.

Member #
    Thanks! So I should then try wordpress.com or bluehost.com?

Member #
    Hmm I started using Wordpress.com and realize that if I change the Theme to load a new website template, my site layout remains unchanged. Can it be that you have no option to choose between different templates, if you have a free subscription?
    Can someone tell me what is the main disadvantage of Wix.com compared to WordPress?

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    I would avoid Bluehost and Hostgator even though many marketers recommend them because they pay good affiliate commisions. Both are owned by EIG, a company that buys hosting sites and gets rid of the support team. They have had a great many problems in the past though they seem to have gotten better in the past year or two. See https://www.reviewhell.com/blog/endurance-international-group-eig-hosting/
    for more info.

Here is my recommended list for Wordpress hosting:

Siteground
    LiquidWeb
    Dreamhost
    Green Geeks
    A2 Hosting
    InMotion

I am using InMotion and no complaints. Site ground starts you out at a low price but it doubles for the second year. For cheap hosting in your situation https://cleverdot.com/
    is likely a good choice.
    Last edited by delstu; Aug 14th, 2019 at 10:11 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads