Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Wired
  • 1 Post By mlseim

Thread: Where Are They Getting The Data?

Member #

Where Are They Getting The Data?

Where are places like Goggle getting the data of when a business is open, and how busy that store is? I would like to incorporate that into my website.

Member #
    Liked
    140 times
    Bob007 likes this.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    Google uses some special techniques that we cannot use.

First of all, Google can use smartphones that have location services turned on and are using Google maps location, etc. Just by sheer number of people enabling location services and using Google apps, they have an advantage over other services. This of course is dependent on people enabling their locations.

Secondly, I'm not sure how to prove this, but I believe Google pays for, or has some sort of agreement to access cell phone access/connections at various cell towers. That means Google knows where road traffic is heaviest by how many cell phones are pinging in real time. Same for restaurants and bars ... Google can tell you approx how busy a restaurant is in real-time. They don't know personal information, just the number of ping-backs. By triangulation they can form specific GPS locations.

So you don't have the ability to do this ... unless you have a way to pay for the information, as Wired said, you pay for the Google API.
    Bob007 likes this.

Member #
    Thanks for the answers y’all! This helps! Seemed like a good idea at the time ��.

Remove Ads