Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Need an interface that can order supplies

Hello everyone,

My name is Matt and I am new to web design. I am designing a robotics website and I need it to be able to order parts from arrow.com based on what parts users choose to buy. I was just wondering if anyone has done something similar and what the easiest way is to go about it. I really need some help here. Thank you.
    Last edited by mzuern; Sep 29th, 2019 at 08:55 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Arrow provides an API that you can use:
    Documentation | Getting Started

You would need a website (webhost) that allows PHP scripting. Free sites like Weebly and Wix do not allow scripting.

So you would have a website where your robotic users would view items, prices, and pick them out. This is where things get a bit muddy because why wouldn't the robotics users simply go directly to arrow.com and order parts themselves?

I suppose a good thing to use the API for would be to build a "kit" of pre-determined parts that your users could buy?

And there are other robotics parts suppliers too, so that would require some other API services.

EDIT:
    API means Application Programming Interface. Some websites provide a way for "outside or remote" websites to access data from their database. Google is an example where you can utilize their maps and Google Drive on your own website. PHP is the most common scripting language to 'query' an API and then process that data. Arrow provides their API to query their database for inventory, items, prices, etc. You need to get an 'api key' from Arrow so they know who is accessing their API. You need to follow their access guidelines, usage, and any other TOS (terms of service).
    Last edited by mlseim; Sep 29th, 2019 at 12:05 PM.

Member #
    Thank you. That helps a lot. I can start doing more research with the right terminology and the right language to look into.

Remove Ads