Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Clickable Email Link

Evening everyone...

i have a customer asking for a link on their website which when clicked would open an email in whatever the default email client is. The email would be pre-populated (like a template) with recipient address, subject, and content (text) so the visitor only has to hit send.

I have tried the mailto route however the email exceeds the allowable character limit. I have also suggested using a copy paste / mailto combination and that is not acceptable. I have looked at other code options including forms but none seem to generate an email that would come from a unique website visitor.

The customer is even willing to pay for a software or service for this feature. I'm stuck so i'm reaching out to folks smarter than me.

thank you,

Mike

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    You can try with this:

<a href="mailto:john@doe.com?Subject=Mail me&body=Your content" target="_top">

OR

Using prefilled form.
    Last edited by sibert; Oct 04th, 2019 at 11:56 PM.

Member #
    The mailto link is limited by characters in the URL. My URL is about 3500 hundred characters due to all the %20's. Works in Safari and Firefox but not Chrome or Edge. I'm looking for something other than mailto...perhaps something like PHP. The kicker is the email has to come from the sender, not the website.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    With PHP you store that large URL in a SQL database and create a small random key that goes with the link that you email, like H38d820dG30600293482MNC

When the recipient gets the email, their link will have that key which goes to your site, and PHP looks up the 3500 character URL and goes there.

You may only be able to use a 'rogue' email 'from address' (from the sender) if you use a virtual server (a more expense account with a webhost, and way more advanced).

The real answer to all of your issues:
    3500 characters in the URL? imo that is ridiculous.
    It sounds like you're sending all kinds of content with the URL, instead of an SQL database.

We also need to know who the webhost is ... if it's a 'free webhost', you won't be able to use PHP/PDO(SQL)

Also, by using a database, the email addresses would be not visible to anyone until they get an email. People visiting the website and just looking around will not be able to see email addresses. The whole thing could be done on the website without email if the users were allowed to register and login.

Remove Ads