Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Consultation help

Hi, I'm starting up my web design business.

How should a consultation transpire with a client? I'm very nervous about what I should say, how to act, etc.

I was thinking I was going to ask them questions from here http://flc.losrios.edu/~tully/Misc/W...NewClients.pdf

just go down the list, tell them I'll get back with them a quote

meet them a few days later with the contract and everything.

I'm just so lost if anyone could guide me itd be much appreciated

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Do you have an existing portfolio of sites you've already done?

Those are good questions to ask, but meeting with them (preferably in person) would be the best thing.

Keep in mind that many small businesses only need a one-page site to display business hours, location, contact, etc.

If you create a website where a business is supposed to edit content themselves, they need to be capable and willing to do that ... which in many cases they won't and the site will become obsolete with wrong information on it. The clients also need to keep their web hosting and domain hosting accounts active and paid unless you are doing all of that for them. Are you full service? You handle all of the web hosting?

Not an easy business to get into. Squarespace.com and other "so called free" webhosting sites are pretty easy to create.

You might think it's easy to just give them a wordpress site and make it look really cool, but they will need to be trained and willing to learn wordpress. That never happens in my experiences.

Good luck.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    These questions are good, but do not be surprised how little your customers really know about their own business.
    I asked one customer of mine similar questions, but I got the answer: "You are the expert and that should YOU know - or find out for me"

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Web design is one of the hardest businesses to get into. You not only need to know all about graphic design itself, but also programming/scripting in PHP/PDO/JQuery/SQL, etc. There are hundreds and hundreds of "web design and web development" businesses, many are just one person, and others are businesses with multiple professional experts in the various fields required to run the business. The prices charged for a web site vary in an unrealistic range of prices.

Then, once you have a site designed and running, it can become obsolete in months. Version updates, browser security changes, script updates that wreck the site layouts and scripts that fail for any number of reasons beyond your control.

I do some freelance programming/scripting and end-up diving into amazingly convoluted code. I sometimes tell clients that I will "pass" on the offer to assist them. Their expectations are too high, and their sites are a mess.

Summary: it's a sh*tty business to get into ... in my humble opinion.

Remove Ads