Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

MDF
    Member #

Question How do I get started?

Hello, I hope everyone is doing well! This may be a stupid question, I was wondering exactly how to get started learning web design? I have been interested in the concept of becoming a web designer for years and have been thinking seriously about it, especially since having an existential crisis due to a dead end job. I'm just needing a little guidance in the right direction and advice. I'm sorry if I'm bothering anyone on here.

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    You said "web design", but there is a lot more to it than just "web design". Some people are graphic artists and understand colors, layouts, fonts, and are able to handle all of the "design" of the site. Others are programmers that understand how the website actually works. The HTML, CSS, JQuery, SQL databases, PHP, javascripting, AJAX, REST API's, JSON, Virtual Servers, etc. etc.

You need all of those skills to actually develop a website.

That's why people purchase pre-made scripts, website themes, or develop using WordPress, Square, WIX, or some other cookie cutter development framework. They want a website but don't have all of the necessary skills to create one from scratch.

You need to learn all of those things, or focus on a specific part of it and become part of a development "team". You need to at least create something to show people before anyone will take you seriously.

Do you have a project in your mind that you would be interested in creating?
    What is your current "dead-end" job?

MDF
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    You said "web design", but there is a lot more to it than just "web design". Some people are graphic artists and understand colors, layouts, fonts, and are able to handle all of the "design" of the site. Others are programmers that understand how the website actually works. The HTML, CSS, JQuery, SQL databases, PHP, javascripting, AJAX, REST API's, JSON, Virtual Servers, etc. etc.

You need all of those skills to actually develop a website.

That's why people purchase pre-made scripts, website themes, or develop using WordPress, Square, WIX, or some other cookie cutter development framework. They want a website but don't have all of the necessary skills to create one from scratch.

You need to learn all of those things, or focus on a specific part of it and become part of a development "team". You need to at least create something to show people before anyone will take you seriously.

Do you have a project in your mind that you would be interested in creating?
    What is your current "dead-end" job?
    Actually I'm really interested in becoming a freelancer and learning everything, or front end development at the least.
    My current dead end job is as a supervisor at a poultry plant. I really hate the job. I'm sorry if I bothered you with this question, I just didn't know where else to ask other than this website.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    If you want to learn front end development, freecodecamp.org is a good place to start.

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    You asked a good question.
    It's really hard to "learn it all", at least proficiently.

Your age and previous computer skills will also make a difference.
    Knowing how web pages work, a little about HTML, and javascripting is a good start.

Is there anyone you know in the poultry business that does something by hand and is frustrated that they cannot use their smartphone to do a task? Such things as "in the field" tasks that could be done while they are standing there with a phone in their hand? Having a specific project to do would allow you to learn and actually test it out in real life. You could create an online app (website, not a native app), that someone in the poultry business might find useful.

Member #
    First start with HTML + CSS. Best practice is in action. Try to create your own website and learn coding when creating something,
    You can start with wordpress or with html bootraps.
    If you want to learn html, css, php you can use this free tutorials: https://www.phpweb.org/learn-html.html
    Last edited by Triqa; Apr 05th, 2020 at 04:12 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MDF View Post
    Actually I'm really interested in becoming a freelancer and learning everything, or front end development at the least.
    My current dead end job is as a supervisor at a poultry plant. I really hate the job. I'm sorry if I bothered you with this question, I just didn't know where else to ask other than this website.
    There is no such thing as bothering. Also, you have to see and act according to your skills or in your case interest. I will cut it short by asking you one question if you want to be jack of all trades, master of none OR you want to be an expert at any particular side (provided your interest)? Keep in mind learning takes time, building a stable money stream will taker longer. So, I suggest you to keep learning and keep doing work until the day you feel you are ready to dedicate yourself fully to freelancing.

Remove Ads