Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

How much work to create a a particular site if possible?

Hi all.

Think I'll be using this forum quite a bit over the coming months, I've only ever messed around with a small amount of HTML years ago, done a bit of macros/VB in excel, and touched on some robotic programming/plc programming.

I've never created a website from "scratch" and want to create something slightly different to the usual workings of a website.

I think I'll be using WordPress (seems to look pretty user friendly as they come?)

And the site I want to make, is a competition site. So I have a page with the prize, and all the tickets available to sell (anything from 100-2000 tickets) when they select their ticket, they have to submit their answer to a question, then pay for the ticket they've chosen.
    I get an email, with their answer and ticket number (or goods depending on how it's all written) and then their ticket number is greyed out and unable to be purchased by anyone else. And a progress bar showing the % of what's sold.
    Then when the tickets hits a pre determined number, a 7 days countdown (maybe a bit more or less) which would end on a Saturday night at 21:00
    And the live draw takes place an hour later.

Here's the bit where I'm stuck.

Is it possible for me to somehow/somewhere, type in the amount of tickets I want to sell somewhere, say..... 100 tickets, and tickets numbered 1-100 get displayed for purchase on the page/over several pages.

Or

Will I need to physically put each ticket in as a stock item, and put stock levels to one for each one (or how ever it'll work) and continue this way for several draws until I can make money from it, then pay for someone to build the site I need?
    As I don't really want to spend the 1000s it will cost, for it not to work out!

Is either way from above achievable for someone starting out?
    I can learn things to a decent level, so my thinking was, if I was to go by the second way (listing everything individually) I could create something by watching tutorials, reading forums etc.

Also, anything that you lot may think I would benefit from checking out/researching. Please let me know.

Thanks very much.

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    So many questions ...

Can they only buy 1 ticket and answer the question, or can someone buy 50 tickets if they want?

Do they just "buy a ticket", or do they physically pick out any number(s) they want (maybe 66 is my lucky number, so I pick that one)?

If they pick a ticket and take time to answer a question, does that ticket need to be 'pending' in case someone else picks it while the person is answering the question? You don't want two people picking the same ticket? You could have 6 people on your website at the same time picking tickets.

You won't be using email to see when someone buys a ticket. You'll be using an SQL database (online) within your webhost. Email is a bad idea because you may not see the email, it may not get to you, the person has no way to know if you actually got the email. And think about it ... are you going to be able to deal with 1000 emails and process the whole thing manually? I think not. Let the PHP scripts do the work.

I don't think WordPress is the best choice. But with any "framework" you pick, you'll need to know PHP, SQL, PDO, JQuery, AJAX, etc. Even WordPress won't have everything you need.

Do you think you have people interested in playing your competition? How much are you going to spend advertising to draw users?
    Last edited by mlseim; Jan 26th, 2020 at 06:37 PM.

Remove Ads