Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Angry Mac vs Windows / Chrome vs Safari - Issues with SIte Display

Hi there. No this is not a question about browsers or anything, but I've just recently run into a rather 'funny'? yet frustrating issue. See, I have both a Mac AND a Windows machine. I use Windows for a particular client (VPN and security issues), and a Mac. Until now, my Mac has worked flawlessly.

So...I just designed a site a few months ago, launched it, and it's been chugging along with absolutely NO issues. It's a WP site, and I've configured it to use one of the default themes. Easy peasy, right?

Well the site is hosted at 1and1 (now IONOS). So I go to the web site on my Mac because someone wanted me to reset their password for the site. I viewed the home page, and it looked like it was missing a link to their CSS file. Very odd. Then, I tried going to the login/admin page. Couldn't get to it at all. Error says it is stuck in a loop. So I figured I'd start with a call to the hosting company to see what's up. But JUST before I called them, I thought I'd try and go to my windows machine and try to hit the site from there.

IT WORKED FLAWLESSLY. Just like I left it. I was even able to get to the login page, log in, change the users password and saved.

Back to the Mac - I thought maybe it was just Chrome, so I tried dumping my cache. No joy. So I moved to Safari - same display and login page gave me the same error.

So what the hell gives? I've NEVER had any issues with my Mac...but now I'm starting to wonder! Got any ideas? Gimme a holler. I've been in design for a while now, and have NEVER seen this behavior before. Maybe I'm just getting too old.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

TD

Member #
    Have you tried using user agent chrome extension? Just to check if it's available on mac though it's weird that is happening try to contact your host's support anyway

Member #
    Hey babyyoda - thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've tried the emulators and get the same results every time, no matter. So to complicate things, I decided to try it on my phone (hooked to my wifi network, btw). Same problem. So then, I disconnected from my network to only use cellular - and using an incognito tab. Same damn problem. I'm kinda stumped at this point. I'm going to contact 1and1 soon. I'll post if I hear anything noteworthy. Thanks again.

Member #
    I don't know if this helps, but I recently updated a theme on a wp site and that caused a similar issue (with one browser messing up another being fine but both on windows)

If the the theme has been updated recently or anything updated significant like that might be causing a problem, I had to go in and redo some things that it should not have changed.

Member #
    Hey Broomstick - thanks for the input. I'm going to try a few more things, but I don't think there were any updates to the theme that I know of. But you reminded me of something I may try - simply re-setting the Permalinks. That's worked in the past on a number of things for me. But I appreciate you chiming in.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by teedubya View Post
    But you reminded me of something I may try - simply re-setting the Permalinks. That's worked in the past on a number of things for me. But I appreciate you chiming in.
    That's funny because that is exactly what the problem I was referring to was lol
    I swear sometimes things get changed and you never really know how it even happened, took awhile to even spot it as I wasn't expecting that to be changed.

Hope you find the issue let us know

Remove Ads