Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Challenge of creating simple page

Hi everyone

I'm trying to create a simple page to help me and my team on our day to day operation. I'm at this new job and I usually try to help everyone bringing everything together and save everyone's time.

All of our tools are on the web so basically I wish to put bunch of links together in a organized way. Based on my needs below I would like to ask your assistance suggesting a language, or web design template site I could use to achieve this.

So I got the following 2 main objectives:
    1. I need a blank field where I can input a numeric value (incident numeber), where I wish to add this value to the end of an existing predefined url, then after clicking on a button such as "go" we would be directed to the incident page

2. If possible also would like to have the URL links organized in a sort of a tree file system division, with hide and collapse options.

Thank you all in advance. Kind regards. Stay home, stay safe.

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    How are all of the URL's stored?
    You say they are "on the web", but what kind of access or permission do you have to access them?

Does each "link" only have 1 incident number associated to it?
    Is there a need to edit them, delete them, move them around?
    How do you or someone else know what incident number to enter? If this number is important for a 'tree', how will you know what number to assign.

Do you have an existing webhost that you have access to, or are you planning to use a "free" host like wix, or weebly?
    This question is important because you'll need a way to store things and script them (such as with PHP).

Once you have a link displayed and you enter a number and click "go", a PHP script would then have to store that somewhere on your website (perhaps an SQL database?). But you need access to the webhost files and database. A free webhost like wix won't allow PHP or database access.

I want to add that if you are saying these are "tools" and each has a URL, maybe they are not really URL's, but a script that is displaying them via a database. Just like this post that your are reading ... it has a URL as you see on the address bar of your browser, but these are all stored in a database. This post you are reading is #297929

So the PHP script accesses our discussion from the database and displays it for you to see. It's not really a URL. The URL you see on your browser is really a link to a PHP script within the webdesignforums website.

You can private message me to tell me more about the "business" and "the tools". I could provide a better answer if I knew what you are actually looking at.
    Last edited by mlseim; Mar 19th, 2020 at 06:05 PM.

Member #
    Hi Mlseim, thank you for your message, and apologies for the delayed response.
    I will reach out to you in private then as suggested. Thank you.

Remove Ads