Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Question Designing a website for Natural Language Processing.

I am a computational linguist. I would like to design a website in which data from users' spoken (and also written) language can be processed online. For example, algorithms for multiple tasks like speech to text, parsing, pos tagging, spell checking, language modelling, etc. must work simultaneously and process what the users say or write fast. I am experienced in natural language processing using Python, but it is my first try in designing a website. Is it possible to create such a website using Python? If no, what are the best programming languages for this task, and how long does it take a person like me to create a website like this if it is possible at all for a beginner to do such a project. Thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    I don't think it can be done just because of browsers.
    Browsers would need access to a user's microphone and have the ability to process the user interface.
    That can't happen on a standard user's PC, laptop, Mac, tablet, etc.

But if you had some native software that users would need to download and install, then it might be possible.
    They would not be using a browser. They would have to run their software or app. Similar to Skype.

For a beginner this would be impossible. Even for a novice programmer like myself ... I would not be able to achieve this.

So my answer is, yes it is possible to do with enough knowledge and skill to program it. But "no" for doing this using a website, as in using a browser and a webhost server.

An example of the power of native apps would be like the smartphone app where you point the camera at a sign or restaurant menu and it immediately translates the language to English. Or it translates speech in real time. These are things that already exist, but not as websites.

Remove Ads