Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Backward compatible to an old version of Dreamweaver?

I wrote my webpage at Cave Diving Training & Guide Service - High Springs, Florida many years ago with an old (circa 1997) version of Dreamweaver. I use Windows and this Dreamweaver version is not working very well with Windows these days surprise, surprise.

While I rarely need to edit the site, I do have to edit it. I know I can subscribe to Dreamweaver for about $20/month.

However my question is can I edit cavediveflorida.com with one of the freebie HTML editors, or is the code the site is written in specific to Dreamweaver?

Any help appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    I would say it's written specifically for Dreamweaver. It would be futile and a waste of time to attempt to recreate using Dreamweaver in 2020.

Your site is amazing actually. I looked back as far as I could on "Wayback Machine" to see what it looked like ... 2005 was the earliest snapshot:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20050330...veflorida.com/

You could redo the entire site using WordPress, but you would have to learn WordPress first.
    Or you could redo the site using modern HTML5/JQuery as with using an existing premium HTML theme. This would be done by hand.

In my opinion, because you have this business and you don't have time to really do a whole website, I would pay for a subscription to Squarespace.com and create your site within Square ... utilizing their credit card processing as well. Square sites look nice, are fast to create, and would save you tons of time.

https://www.squarespace.com/

If you go with squarespace, you would go into your existing website (webhost) and do all of the "permission" stuff to get your domain name transferred to squarespace so they would host your site AND your domain name. Your existing site would then just 'expire' and go away.

Remove Ads