Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Complex interactive map: what language/code is best?

Hello to all,

I am new to this forum so sorry if I sound a little "out of touch" with the guidelines of the forum.

I am re-designing our travel website and want to add an interactive map on the homepage. As we are a tailor made incomping travel agent the process would be as follows.

The visitors will select their wished destinations on the map. These destinations will be added to a list on the same page. Once the list is complete, the visitor would then be redirected to a contact page where the previousely listed items would already appear and would be send with the additional information entered on the form page.

I would like to know what language would be best suited for this. I would prefer it to be code-lightweight for SEO purposes.

I am still working on the design pages in Indesign, which would then be sent to a developer to have it translated in html or php (boostrap? wordpress?).

Thanks for the advice and help.

Mark
    Last edited by dannau; May 19th, 2020 at 09:36 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    725 times
    You would use PHP along with an SQL (MySQL) database.

If this involves an actual interactive Google Map, that requires an API key and most likely would not be free. Google charges for various API uses.

Describe more what your "map" actually is.

The rest of it would be fairly straight-forward ... PHP/SQL scripting.

Also note:
    You could use PHP to grab information from other sites, using API's that they provide.
    This would be a way to populate or obtain locations from other websites.
    I'm not sure how travel agency things work ... is there a central database that everyone uses?
    Last edited by mlseim; May 21st, 2020 at 10:45 AM.

Remove Ads