Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Web design advice

Hey everyone I need some advice, to start off I need to give a little back story, I am a member of a gaming community that has been around for 20+ years and I myself have been a member for 17 years, now we have this website called battlestats, basically what it is for is for us to track our gamestats over time as well as during certain week long events via form submission

now the issue is this website is old and clunky and due to copyright and cost we cannot hire someone to update the site to be more user friendly or to just work better in general, now we could contact the owner of said site but the issue there is no one can get a hold of him and we have been trying for four years

and since we have to do everything for free we cannot get the talent in to update the site, so my question is, is there anything that is either like what we have or at least something that is drag and drop where someone can select which users were in the game with them when a screenshot was taken and input all of their kills, scores, deaths etc and email everyone listed a copy kinda like the following screenshot.

any advice anyone can give would be extremely helpful!

https://imgur.com/mNdNpqs

Member #
    Liked
    756 times
    First of all, I don't know anything about gaming (I'm 60 years old).

When you are gaming, do you use a normal PC that you can just click a tab and be looking at a browser online? I'm not sure how you go from playing the game to entering in data. Does the screenshot you take have information showing on it? I particularly don't understand the screenshot part ... what the reason is for that.

Or do you enter data on a smartphone (using the phone's browser) while or after you play the game?

How many gamers or users would be using the website and how much data will be collected?

It seems really odd to me that people play sophisticated online games connected around the world and the game software itself has no way to store information on a cloud using an API? Wouldn't that just be an obvious automatic feature? Or when the game is finished, you click a "stats" button and the game software displays or allows to download a file.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    First of all, I don't know anything about gaming (I'm 60 years old).

When you are gaming, do you use a normal PC that you can just click a tab and be looking at a browser online? I'm not sure how you go from playing the game to entering in data. Does the screenshot you take have information showing on it? I particularly don't understand the screenshot part ... what the reason is for that.

Or do you enter data on a smartphone (using the phone's browser) while or after you play the game?

How many gamers or users would be using the website and how much data will be collected?

It seems really odd to me that people play sophisticated online games connected around the world and the game software itself has no way to store information on a cloud using an API? Wouldn't that just be an obvious automatic feature? Or when the game is finished, you click a "stats" button and the game software displays or allows to download a file.
    entering the data would be when the game is over, the screenshot does have the information you would be putting in it is also for so we know exactly who was there and what their score was, no mobile apps,

in the past we had more than a thousand people using the site but now its less than four hundred and data to be collected would be online name, kills, death and overall score

some games do collect stats but we do it a bit differently and its really hard to explain

Member #
    Liked
    756 times
    You will need a webhost account. You don't want a "free" account because they won't allow any custom PHP scripting or installing PHP scripts. You can get a webhost account with a domain name for only $40 for the first year. (www.cleverdot.com)

There is another free option ... using www.firegui.com as the webhost w/scripting necessary to do what you need to do. The only thing with that is you have to learn how to use it, and the domain name will not be your own. it will be like "battlestats.firegui.com"

NOTE:
    Looking closer at firegui, I don't see a way where you can have users 'register'. That would be an important feature.
    So maybe firegui isn't the best option.
    Last edited by mlseim; Jul 02nd, 2020 at 06:12 PM.

Member #
    You will need a webhost account. You don't want a "free" account because they won't allow any custom PHP scripting or installing PHP scripts. You can get a webhost account with a domain name for only $40 for the first year. (www.cleverdot.com)

There is another free option ... using www.firegui.com as the webhost w/scripting necessary to do what you need to do. The only thing with that is you have to learn how to use it, and the domain name will not be your own. it will be like "battlestats.firegui.com"

NOTE:
    Looking closer at firegui, I don't see a way where you can have users 'register'. That would be an important feature.
    So maybe firegui isn't the best option.
    I have a webhost already that I pay for so that's not an issue just need the "software"

Member #
    Liked
    756 times
    I could say just use wordpress on your shared webhost account since it's free. You would have to learn how to use it and find the right themes and plugins.

Or I would say you spend $22 and purchase a pre-made user management and CMS system based on codeigniter framework.
    https://codecanyon.net/item/pro-logi...ystem/18561640

I would spend the $22, but you still have to install it, get it working, and customize it for your own battlestats project.

There is no easy plug and play method to creating or duplicating the battlestats website, but the type of script like the pro-login script is secure, modern, and it works and looks nice on all types of devices.

You say that you don't have a budget to spend. If that is true, then the project must not be very important to you. Maybe another gamer will take on the mission?

Member #
    I could say just use wordpress on your shared webhost account since it's free. You would have to learn how to use it and find the right themes and plugins.

Or I would say you spend $22 and purchase a pre-made user management and CMS system based on codeigniter framework.
    https://codecanyon.net/item/pro-logi...ystem/18561640

I would spend the $22, but you still have to install it, get it working, and customize it for your own battlestats project.

There is no easy plug and play method to creating or duplicating the battlestats website, but the type of script like the pro-login script is secure, modern, and it works and looks nice on all types of devices.

You say that you don't have a budget to spend. If that is true, then the project must not be very important to you. Maybe another gamer will take on the mission?
    we dont have the budget to upgrade the current site and we also cant hire someone to upgrade the current site to copyright and the legalities that come with it, trust me when i say its very complicated, but this is why i am trying to find a super cheap or free way to recreate it under a different name but have the same features

basically battlestats is a very archaic statistical tracking system
    Last edited by ironsniper1; Jul 03rd, 2020 at 03:09 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    756 times
    You mentioned you already have a webhost account.
    Just out of curiosity, who is that webhost? (godaddy, etc?)

I am wondering what built-in software they might already have.
    It really depends on the webhost.

Remove Ads