Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Framework from other websites

Hi. I'm new to website design. I was wondering it's acceptable to use another website's framework and modify it to suit. I notice that if I right click on a web page, there is an option to bring up the code, and so I assume this is publicly available information. Is this correct?
    If it acceptable, is there a tool available to copy a website as a bunch of folders and files and then modify to suit.

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    There's nothing wrong with that but it might not be as simple as you think. There could be .htaccess rewrite rules that make changes to path names or files and you may not know where they are. There is PHP scripting that you cannot see. There could be AJAX, a mix of PHP and javascripting, and of course you cannot access any SQL databases. You can't use their images unless you have permission (copyright issues?).

But for just the HTML structure, no problem with viewing and copying HTML source. That's a good way to learn how different sites are layed-out.

Likewise, you can obtain or purchase pre-made HTML templates and complete websites, and/or wordpress themes. Already created for you which saves a lot of time. You can even buy complete PHP/SQL scripts for just about every purpose.

If you find a website you really like, don't be afraid to email them and ask about where their site was created, or if you can get a hold of their web designer, ask them. You would be amazed at how generous people are and they may tell you exactly where you can get the same site with all the files. This isn't all secret. They are just files located on a server.
    Last edited by mlseim; Jul 09th, 2020 at 06:18 AM.

Member #
    Thanks for the comprehensive answer.
    I'll try to view some websites and see what's involved.

Member #
    I have done that in the past, if I liked a certain feature on a website and wanted to figure out how it was done, its definitely not easy but I think it helps you to start seeing how code works. Since you are new to the web design I would recommend taking some courses at UDEMY they have free or pay courses and all kinds of different learner levels. I also used http://www.codecademy.com

Member #
    OK thanks I'll bear that in mind.

Remove Ads