Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Lightbulb Opinion on website design tool

Hey guys,

I need your opinion on something.

I was a freelance web designer for 4 years and a lot of my time would involve cool looking websites.
    Often, I’d use a tool like Evernote to capture great designs and write notes about them.
    These notes usually involved the colour palette and fonts used. It got extremely tedious continually ‘inspecting’ websites and typing up notes, it was read time consuming especially when your turn around time for a website design gets more demanding with more customers.

What do you think of a software that allows you to book the website you like and it would automatically pull in relevant informatiom from the source code. Things like fonts, css, colors used etc.

This information, along with a visual is stored with other website/bookmarks you’ve saved.

Do you guys do the same thing when you're website designing? Opinions?

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    I always tell people that a website is about these two things ...

1) Content. It has information people want to see.
    2) They can get the information they need quickly and easily.

That's it.

And I have specific data to prove my point. A company run by a woman named Ling Valentine. It's one of the most successful auto leasing companies in the U.K.

Here is her website:
    https://www.lingscars.com/

Now you tell me what you see pertaining to colors, fonts, layout, etc. and give me some thoughts on what might be improved.

If I want information to obtain, or to perform a specific online task, I don't care what font they use. I need to see it, I need to be able to read it, and the information should be obvious, easy to find, and whoever owns the site or company needs to connect with me ASAP.

In my opinion you're over-thinking the whole concept. In fact, most companies no longer even need a website. Or if they do, it should be a simple one-page site that lets customers find them, call them, connect with them immediately.

Here is an example of a company that needs information from a customer in order to process a request: https://www.peddle.com
    I've used them twice. You enter a vehicle VIN number and answer a few questions. They immediately give you a cash offer for your vehicle. You can accept or deny the offer. Since I was getting rid of broken down wrecks that could not be driven, I knew the value as very minimal, but they offered me a fair price and they guarantee picking it up at my house. The next morning, a local auto salvage company contacted me to pick up my vehicle. The next day I had a check in hand and the vehicle was gone. That was less than 3 full days from the moment I went to their website. That is service. I honestly don't remember what their website looked like.
    Last edited by mlseim; Aug 05th, 2020 at 04:21 PM.

Remove Ads