Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Wix site - Beginner Problems - Site transfer after departure?

Hi all, hoping you can help with this transfer issue. I've been in conversation with Wix support but they haven't been too helpful.

I'll preface this by saying that I am not too experienced with web design (I used Wix of all things), so am at a bit of a loss as to how to resolve this.

Background

In 2018 I was asked to create a site for a local business. I've done so using Wix. I completed it, went live and then transferred ownership to the contact at the business. I was then the site admin only.

The Problem

Last week, they have advised that the website is down. Logging into the wix portal I could see that it states 'Domain not connected'. Sure enough, the domain is available for purchase again so there must have been change of payment details or a laps in registration.

Issue is that the person I was in contact with, no longer works there. I am only an admin, and have been advised by Wix that with this role I cannot transfer ownership to myself or anyone else. Only the site owner can do this.

This contact has been asked to provide login details, but cannot remember then and as such cannot access the portal to transfer.

The Question

How do I resolve this?

Is is possible for the site to be 'duplicated' entirely with the new owners details included? I am concerned that may not work due to double billing.

Or is there some kind of override to this process that would make this not necessary that I am neglecting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    It sounds like the company needs to do a password reset and use whatever email address the account's under to do it. They may have to recreate their email address in their mail system to do it.

If that's not possible, have them talk to Wix support. They'll probably be able to validate ownership of the account via the billing information.

Edit: Yeah, they can do that. https://support.wix.com/en/article/u...-email-account
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    You should determine if their domain name has expired and they did not renew it.

Wix is free isn't it? But a domain name is NOT free. It has to be registered by the year or years.

Go to this website and enter their domain name:
    Domain Register: Providing Domain Registration Services since 1997

Click on the "whois" link and see if they are still registered by viewing the expiration date.

It's possible their expired domain name was taken and parked by a domain robot. You may not be able to get it back without buying it for a high price. There is a grace period, which is why you need to see the status using "domainregister.com"
    Last edited by mlseim; Aug 26th, 2020 at 06:56 PM.

Remove Ads