Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Kay Three
  • 1 Post By sarahswansea
  • 1 Post By delstu

Thread: What am I missing?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

What am I missing?

What's with all the tiny gray fonts nowadays? Just now, was (trying) to read a technical page about HVAC. The title of each section is in dark, easy to read font. The contents of each section is in much smaller, gray font. Since this style is showing up on web pages with an ever-increasing regularity, this appears to be the new trend in web page design. At this point it is important to point out that I'm old and grouchy and my eyes are growing old and grouchy right along with me. Consequently, this new trend and my eyes are a little less matched every day. Since this is obviously the new trend in web page design and since I am responsible for a couple web pages myself, I would greatly appreciate knowing about this trend. Perhaps I need to consider redesigning our web pages to the newer style. Any comments any wish to offer about this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, K.
    sarahswansea likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    You're right

1.4.3 Contrast (Minimum): The visual presentation of text and images of text has a contrast ratio of at least 4.5:1, except for the following: (Level AA)

Large Text: Large-scale text and images of large-scale text have a contrast ratio of at least 3:1;

Incidental: Text or images of text that are part of an inactive user interface component, that are pure decoration, that are not visible to anyone, or that are part of a picture that contains significant other visual content, have no contrast requirement.

Logotypes: Text that is part of a logo or brand name has no minimum contrast requirement.
    -- Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0

In most countries, making your website accessible is a legal requirement
    delstu likes this.
    Tawesoft <-- hire me here if you need a Go or Python webdev

Member #
    Liked
    302 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay Three View Post
    The contents of each section is in much smaller, gray font. Since this style is showing up on web pages with an ever-increasing regularity, this appears to be the new trend in web page design.
    Trends in web design do not always match what is best for the end user. If you want your visitor to read your content, make it easy for them. This usually means darker, larger fonts, not smaller, lighter gray.
    The websites you mention that make it hard for your "old" eyes to read are examples of bad design, and not that uncommon.
    sarahswansea likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank You delstu for considering and responding to my post. Stuck off in my little corner as I am, when I start seeing trends that don't make sense to me, I always wonder what I'm missing, and if I should be changing with the times. In one way the smaller fonts make sense, and if I stretch a bit, I can even imagine some sense to the gray. The smaller the font, the greater amount of characters you can cram onto the small, hand held screens. Then when I stretch, I can assume gray requires less power then black, again, to better serve the smaller systems. If designing for the small systems is in any way the reason, the problem with designing one-size-fits-all is... one size NEVER fits all. Again, Thank You. I appreciate your comment. K.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    One issue with gray text in large amount without contrast is that it will tire eyes faster. Also if website uses pixels, rems or ems for text sizes, you can just press ctrl++, or cmd++. In order to zoom text in browser, or on mobile devices under settings just put for text size - large. Or use two fingers to zoom in.
    Last edited by Soul Grinder; Sep 10th, 2020 at 07:41 PM.

Remove Ads