Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

ADHD and Bootstrap

Hello,
    I've been taking web design courses on Coursera in order to hopefully find a full time web design career before the end of 2021 (I plan to land an internship or apprenticeship first for experience and for refining my skills). The only problem is I have memory issues caused by my ADHD, so I have a hard time remembering what tags and classes to use, where to put them in my code, etc. My memory issues also keep me from practicing on my own, especially because I'm the type of person who needs someone to go through a process with me step-by-step and multiple times before it becomes almost muscle memory to me. In my current class, I just learned about Bootstrap and the templates it offer, which makes me feel a bit more confident in my chosen career path since I've heard many experienced designers use it for their code, and I would be able to change parts of the code to things that fit my needs. I know opinions on Bootstrap are generally split between loving it or hating it, but I wanted to get opinions from experienced web designers with the same issues as me: has Bootstrap helped you in your careers? And can I be confident that I can become a web designer with the help of an internship or apprenticeship PLUS the use of Bootstrap despite my memory issues?

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    Bootstrap relates to website layout, as in responsive grids and structured layouts.

You still need to learn a programming/scripting language like PHP, along with SQL database usage.
    A website is way more than just a layout of HTML/CSS

Programming requires 'exacting' structure of computer instructions. Even if you miss-place a symbol, like a semi-colon, the program will crash.

I have no comprehension of what people with ADHD, Dyslexia, and other learning differences go through. It has to be really tough to navigate your way through the what other people consider "normal". But I do know that there is no "normal". You are as "normal" as everyone else ... you just have a different way of learning.

Because web development involves a lot of scripting, structured syntax, reading tutorials, and actually doing programming, I think you will always struggle through this type of career. I have a daughter who struggles with reading comprehension, and has since childhood. People like you have "super powers" that other people don't have. My daughter is an amazing artist. I believe you have a super power too, but you have not yet found what it is.

You didn't mention your age.

If you struggle using the internet, especially getting through a business' website, or filling out forms on a website, maybe you can get a career with a company to help them make their sites accessible to people with learning differences. You don't do the programming, but consultation, suggestions and testing of websites to make them usable for people with ADD, ADHD, Dyslexia, etc.

Find your super power.

EDIT:
    My daughter has trouble reading, but can understand if someone reads to her. So she uses an app like this:
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/voice-...er/id903772588

I'm really surprised there are not more websites that have the option to "speak" instructions for people that don't have the ability to read and comprehend complicated instructions. Maybe companies need to have someone like you give them ideas about speaking instructions directly on their website.
    Last edited by mlseim; Dec 15th, 2020 at 05:37 PM.

Member #
    Oh I'm not looking into programming, especially not back-end design or development. I'm looking into front-end web design since there's a more creative aspect to it. I'm 24 years old (turning 25 in February 2021). Much like Autism, ADHD is different for everyone. In my case, I have inattentive type ADHD and experience things like memory issues, increased sensitivity to sounds and smells, and a need for specific step-by-step instructions due to my literal and logical way of thinking. I have good reading and writing comprehension skills (in high school I was told by my school that my skills ranked higher than most people my age in the world), but I have trouble focusing on reading books and articles where the words are small and cramped tightly together. I have read that fields in technology, such as web design, are often ideal for people with ADHD. I am also taking graphic design courses on Coursera since I know knowledge of graphic design is useful to have when looking for work as a front-end web designer, and I want to be able to express myself creatively in some way. I personally don't struggle to use the internet, and I know how to change up the wording of my search queries on google to find exactly what I need, but I definitely like your suggestion of finding work with a company to help make their sites accessible to people with issues similar to mine. I will look for that type of work on my own, but if you know where I can find a full-time job that makes decent money like what you're describing I would be delighted if you gave me links to those sources.

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    I think less companies have websites now than in past years. With social media and business listings on Google, etc, a website might only be a simple page with contact info, address, phone, etc. But the back-end is different. Some companies have a single page for site visitors, but use the rest of the website for internal company use. Employee functions, inventory, file storage (cloud), things like that.

Maybe there are others here that know more about the opportunities with front-end scripting. I imagine you would be a part of a team, not a one-person company. If you have skills with graphic software, that might be more of an opportunity than the front-end projects. I don't know how you become proficient without actually owning and running the graphic software, which might be expensive.

I would say your best chance of success is to make personal contacts with people in the field of work that you are going into. Get to know graphic designers or graphic artists. Sort of like if a person wants to be a pilot, get to know people that fly planes. You'll be amazed at how many people are willing to help someone out.

Good luck though. Keep going ahead at what you're doing.

Remove Ads