Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Upgrading website to Hosts PHP

I was recently Informed by my Host, that they are upgrading PHP, and I have been asked to Change or upgrade versions on my site. Problem is! I am using an Online Liquid Layout template I found years ago, and I can't really find what version this template could be raised to without problems, Is there an easy way of checking the sites PHP? any help with this Issue would be greatly appreciated, and I apologize if I am not explaining this correctly, as I don't really understand this issue myself! I don't even know what PHP is! Thanks John

Member #
    Liked
    756 times
    PHP is the server-side scripting language that a webhost uses so people can write their own programming to access the server, use the SQL database, etc. The old popular scripting language was Perl, which people commonly call CGI or cgi-bin. Other scripting languages are Python, Ruby.

This forum you are viewing now is written in PHP, as is WordPress.

So the latest PHP version is 7.4

You may not have any issues when the PHP version changes. When you log into your webhost control panel (cpanel), you will see what the current running versions are for PHP, SQL (MySQL), etc. If you see 7.4 running, then you are already running the latest version. If they upgrade the version and your site suddenly stops working, you can go into your cpanel and force the PHP version to "drop back" to 5.x ... but of course you don't have experience with PHP so you might need someone to help you. You really should do whatever it takes to make your site operate properly with PHP 7.4

You did not tell us who your webhost is. That might make a difference too. And also, give us a link to your website so we can see what type of scripting it seems to contain.

When all is said and done, you may have to hire a freelance programmer to go into your website and get things fixed (if necessary).

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    PHP is the server-side scripting language that a webhost uses so people can write their own programming to access the server, use the SQL database, etc. The old popular scripting language was Perl, which people commonly call CGI or cgi-bin. Other scripting languages are Python, Ruby.

This forum you are viewing now is written in PHP, as is WordPress.

So the latest PHP version is 7.4

You may not have any issues when the PHP version changes. When you log into your webhost control panel (cpanel), you will see what the current running versions are for PHP, SQL (MySQL), etc. If you see 7.4 running, then you are already running the latest version. If they upgrade the version and your site suddenly stops working, you can go into your cpanel and force the PHP version to "drop back" to 5.x ... but of course you don't have experience with PHP so you might need someone to help you. You really should do whatever it takes to make your site operate properly with PHP 7.4

You did not tell us who your webhost is. That might make a difference too. And also, give us a link to your website so we can see what type of scripting it seems to contain.

When all is said and done, you may have to hire a freelance programmer to go into your website and get things fixed (if necessary).

Hello and Thank You for your Help! On my Control Panel I see PHP Version:5.5.22 and above that I see Perl Version:5.8.8 and above that I see MySQL Version:5.6.32 and my host Is IPage.com Hope this helps!

Member #
    Liked
    756 times
    So they have not yet updated their PHP.

What is your website URL? I want to see what type of features your site uses.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    So they have not yet updated their PHP.

What is your website URL? I want to see what type of features your site uses.
    johnstenger.com johnstengerstudio.com

Member #
    Liked
    756 times
    Your site is fairly out-dated, but that's OK.
    You are not using any PHP that I can tell ... only static HTML pages.
    Even the contact page is not a PHP form ... it's only text displaying your contact information.

You won't have to worry about any PHP/SQL version updates.

If you were to update your site so the images render properly on small screens, like smartphones, tablets, etc. then you would be updating your site layout, which is the CSS (cascade style sheet) or embedded styles. If you used some PHP, it could do such things as automatically put the correct year in the copyright footer, and use an actual contact form that a person fills-out and "submits" to your email.

If you're happy with your site now, just leave it alone. It looks just fine to me on a desktop browser. It's a bit harder to navigate on a smartphone though.

Member #
    Thank You for your help mlseim! I realize my site is outdated, but I'm always trying to keep costs low! Could you possibly recommend any websites that would be low in cost, more up to date, and still allow me to make photo and text changes by myself?

Member #
    Liked
    756 times
    Sure, and it's easy ....

You already have that ability.

If you go to your webhost and use their own built-in web builder you can create your own new site with the online ability to edit everything.

https://www.ipage.com/website-builder

It's already included free with your webhost account.

When you add that "web-builder" to your 'cart', I believe it overwrites your existing website. So you keep the same webhost account, and same domain name, but you will be creating your site in the same directory as your existing site. So have copies of your images on hand because you'll need to upload them again in the web builder.
    Last edited by mlseim; Jan 12th, 2021 at 06:20 AM.

Member #
    Thanks Again mlseim!

Remove Ads