Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mlseim
  • 1 Post By mlseim

Thread: Halp!! Image stacking for primitive web site

Member #

Halp!! Image stacking for primitive web site

Hi folks...

I'm sure my question has an absurdly easy solution but I'm an old fart with a very, very primitive web site based around photos and sports scoreboards from yesteryear.

I want to stack the photos listed here (and others) on a web page to mimic a baseball scoreboard. I used to do this on old Dreamweaver software that included a timeline. That, obviously, is no longer possible. But is there current software without a huge learning curve that would allow me to do the same thing? I'm nearing 70 and I don't know if I can learn code (I should, I know). DW, as WYSIWYG software, allowed me to experiment without having to know code.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated and again, apologies for my lack of knowledge on the subject. Just trying to have some fun in my retirement years!

Cheers all and stay safe and well!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (8.6 KB, 11 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (8.7 KB, 9 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (8.7 KB, 11 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (8.9 KB, 11 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (8.8 KB, 11 views)

Member #
    Liked
    756 times
    Please clarify ... are you trying to have an old blank scoreboard photo and add numbers to it, as is progresses from inning to inning?
    Or just plopping one image over another?

Also, what is your website address so I can see what photos you have?
    That would help me also know who is hosting your website.

I guess if I knew what your final purpose might be ... your goal on what you want to do with the photos, that might help.

I'm 60 yrs old, but I've been coding all my life.

If you have any other skills, like woodworking or metal skills,and especially any electronic skills, that would open up a whole new world for you ... mixing those with the internet. The Internet of Things IoT
    maybo likes this.

Member #
    Hi mlseim...and thanks for the reply.
    In this case, I'll be plopping one image on top of another on certain pages, with a timed loop. It will make more sense with an example. Here's one from an old Detroit Tigers extra-innings game I attended. In real life, the numbers on the scoreboard disappeared after 10 innings and started over again in the 11th. Here's how I displayed on my site, scorepics.ca:

Tigers-11

Here's another from a Chicago Blackhawks' overtime game:

Blackhawks-1

As mentioned off the top, this is all very primitive and I use Fluid Hosting. It's all just a time-killing hobby with no real end goal.
    I guess I'm basically looking for a replacement to the old Dreamweaver timeline function to animate the scoreboard art.

I really appreciate the reply. Thanks!!!

Member #
    Liked
    756 times
    It is all done with javascripting. So there is no easy editor like you used with Dreamweaver (that I know of).
    There might be some modern editors other than Dreamweaver, but I've never used them.

So there is plain vanilla javascripting, or JQuery, which is a framework to make javascripting animations easier.

But these would require scripting and you would have to embed things into HTML and CSS, so it would not be easy like Dreamweaver.

I created an example using JQuery:
    https://www.catpin.com/scorepics

JQuery has adjustable fade-in-out options.

I used some of your raw images without PNG transparency defines.

No reason to "protect" your images since anyone can bypass that easily (like I did).
    If you are worried about people stealing them, not much you can do except watermark them in the images themselves.

Bottom line is, I don't how you can re-create your site without using Dreamweaver ... where you won't have to learn how to script. Even if you find a pre-made website template, you still need to know how to customize it and add scripting.

Sorry I don't have a better answer.

Or Pay $30 per month:
    https://www.adobe.com/products/dream...g!!dreamweaver
    Last edited by mlseim; Jan 25th, 2021 at 04:40 PM.
    maybo likes this.

Member #
    Many thanks for the information and the example. I will look into JQuery and see what this old brain can gleam from it.
    The “protect” warning is woefully out of date and refers back to a time when sports franchises fiercely protected their logos from appearing anywhere but their own web sites. Agreed that it is very easy to bypass.
    I still have a stand-alone copy of Dreamweaver but without the timeline function, which Adobe discontinued eons ago.
    Thanks again!!

Remove Ads