Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cutler

Thread: New forum is it worth it ?

Member #

New forum is it worth it ?

I'm thinking of creating a local forum site a project for my spare time and build on it over time to do more but I have so worries.

1. Do people still bother with forums outside the big owns could I get members ?
    2. Would I be just wasting my time and money ?
    3. Would it need a lot of investment ?
    4. Would it need a lot of seo and money unlike in the past?
    5. would It be best to stay with a basic forum and not over do it ?
    6. if you think its worth a go what would be a good software to start with I have a idea of a few but looking for suggestions.
    7. too many big sites you can easily access which is my worry and people wont try a new site.

I have built a few new sites it the past but did not outside my business sites.
    so im a bit worries

I would also have one downside of a large forum site focused on the same thing.

The other issue is are people even google or do they just go to facebook now or something they already know.

I think the biggest up to the forum would be its local and will focus on people and area and around the local community.

Member #
    Liked
    731 times
    I know not everyone uses FaceBook, myself included, but people create FaceBook groups. Example, there is a local garage sale facebook group in my town where people post sales and discuss garage sales. Another group just talks about Police issues. The problem you'll get with any type of forum is Trolls and people that are rude, complain about everything, put other people down, and are generally offensive. They ruin it for everyone. You as the admin can ban them and remove posts, but now you are the "bad guy" for biasing the discussion. You make judgement calls that others won't agree with.

Try a FaceBook group first to test the waters. If you discover it's an admin nightmare, you'll have your answer to whether you should spend time creating a forum.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    From what I've seen, forums are a rough gig now. There is a lot more competition: Slack groups: discord groups, Facebook groups, subreddits. Don't want to discourage you though. See what is out there and move forward with what you feel is right.
    ultrastyle likes this.
    $1/year Portfolio Hosting with Promo Code: WEBDESIGNFORUMS

Agency: Marshalled Makers
    Hosting: Marshalled Makers Hosting

Member #
    It depends actually. Imo the most successful forums are the ones that have already existed for years. If the forum topic is something like crypto, then maybe because of the relevancy. But overall when it comes to online social interactivity, new apps such as joinclubhouse are dominating the space. If this is just a spare-time project, then you probably don't want to get involved because it's going to take a community to get the ball rolling. However if you wanna try, vbulletin and xenforo are good forum software. Incase those might be too expensive(Too lazy to lookup myself and it's been a while since I've been into forum development), check mybb.

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    I will agree with the others. Forums seem to be losing popularity. Established forums are hanging in there ok but I think a start up is going to be tough. I have a forum which used to be very busy. Now there is little activity and conversely someone else started some facebook groups on the same topic that are busy as all get out. People seem to find Facebook easier to use than most forum software.

If you decide to go the forum route vBulletin is probably the best but it isn't cheap. My forum uses Simple Machines which is free and pretty decent. There are a few other decent free forum software that are available.

Remove Ads