Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Question Full-boned system for dealing with cross-browser issues, etc.

I was looking into cross-browser compatibility/etc, and I was wondering:

Has anyone ever built/attempted to build a "swiss army knife" for web design? There's a way to do it, and I totally am interested in picking this up, I just was wondering if anyone has already built such a thing?

I would want it to handle cross-browser issues (all of them?), multiples (of anything(i.e. an array that stores everything)), and singles (a single thing).

I was thinking it would start off with a single or multiple that would be handled by peripheral to do things like take some html and format it for cross-browser compatibiltiy and that sort of thing. Basically you could sketch up a website and feed (a sketch!) through the thing and it would deal with all of the details by reading the data and logically applying cross-browser fixes/etc. to the code.

Of course, there's no point to re-inventing the wheel, just along these lines I've been doing a little research and I haven't found anything.

Thoughts/questions/ideas about this?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    So I got to thinking and I thought the whole thing would be flexible at the bottom, where lets say we had a single array (or variable, no multiples), if the whole thing was represented in XML it could be rendered simply in HTML and parsed (lets say you wanted parts of the XML formatted a certain way in the HTML, it would be, at this point, parsed in php). That way it's completely exensible, completely flexible.

-- edit --

It's flexible enough to start using TONIGHT and continue to develop over time. THAT is what I call functional

So to elaborate, it's not even a computer program, it's like a paradigm. Everything comes down to some XML:

Code:
    <someXML>
        hello world
    </someXML>
    The beauty of this, ultimately, is that it took me 5 seconds to type that XML, and it's already ready to be inserted into the system. This is why it is based on XML: it's quick and semantically neat and clean. It could, of course, be anything, just XML was the fastest thing I could come up with to allow for rapid input (you're literally talking on the phone with someone and taking in a bunch of so much as custom data). From that point the data can be handed off to php/some programming language. At this point you can dynamically interact with your data, so for instance for every tag "x" in XML you could have php/etc. do function "y". PHP/etc. would then, potentially, output html/js to the browser and from there it just goes in circles. Ta da! A master system!
    Last edited by Cinder; Mar 24th, 2021 at 10:29 AM. Reason: additional thought

Remove Ads