Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Responsive Website Design

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie, handcoding a read-only static website in html5 and css3.

To create a responsive design, I've got three columns across the screen. Entries in each column (tables, photos, etc) are all hard-coded at widths of roughly 350px each.

So the website appears responsive the user. View it on a handheld, and you get all items in 1 long column. Use a tablet and you get 2 columns. A full-sized monitor gives you 3 columns across.

I know my approach of floating fixed-width items is old-fashioned, but it's simple and looks nice to the viewer.

My question is -- Is this approach ok? Or will I run into trouble with it someday? Am I missing out on some much better technique for my simple website?

I'm asking because I've read about Inline Blocks and Flexbox and I'd rather pass on their complexity. (I've haven't yet read about CSS Grid layout.)

Thank you for your feedback.

Member #
    Liked
    761 times
    There is no ‘right’ answer. If it works, then it’s ok. Otherwise, you use CSS media breakpoints to style it based on screen width.
    Last edited by mlseim; Mar 21st, 2021 at 03:52 PM.

Member #
    Thanks @mlseim. Yes, what I've got works for my simple web pages, so I'll stick with it.

Thanks for your tip on CSS media queries, based on that I read about them, and now I understand them now for any future work. Cheers.

Remove Ads