Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Import/export Website - Help

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Import/export Website - Help

I have a small business website (I use it for a group of vets) with Yahoo at $24.99 per month and used SiteBuilder to compose the pages and upload to the website. The site has over 50 pages. Now Yahoo tells me the website will continue running on-line but I can no longer make any changes. I need to make changes about 2 to 3 times a month. I would like to go with another hosting company, move my domain name and all my web pages to the new hosting company. After reading for several days I realize to do this it is above my website knowledge. I'm looking for an excellent web hosting company that will provide me with what I need and will handle the task of moving my web site. Any suggestions from anyone?

Member #
    Liked
    757 times
    Give us a link to it so I can see it. There might be an economical way to do it. About your domain name, do they host that too? Webhost account and domain name hosting are usually two different accounts.

$25 per month is insane. You can get a site for $40-$60 per year.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    Give us a link to it so I can see it. There might be an economical way to do it. About your domain name, do they host that too? Webhost account and domain name hosting are usually two different accounts.

$25 per month is insane. You can get a site for $40-$60 per year.
    USS Thornback SS-418
    The domain name and site were both purchased from Yahoo.

Member #
    Liked
    757 times
    You still have Sitebuilder software on your computer and that's what you use to maintain the content and photos?

The site is really "old school", 1990's, but that's OK ... nothing wrong with that for a personal site like yours.
    You wish to keep it "as-is"?

If you use cleverdot.com (which is $40 for the 1st year and $55 after that), they utilize RVsitebuilder for people to create websites without having programming experience. You could rebuild your site using that ... create the pages, upload photos, etc. It would take you some time to do that, but the site would be modern and work on all devices. I mention cleverdot because I've used them before and for $60 per year, that's pretty cheap.

If you want your site exactly like it is now, you'll have to upload all of the HTML files and photos using FTP ... which is more technical. Basically you are uploading them yourself from your PC to the website directory.

You would purchase your first year for $40 and give them the domain name you will be using ... even though it's hosted on Yahoo .... you still tell them what the domain will be. You will be given a temporary domain name to use until you transfer the domain name from Yahoo to cleverdot. There is a procedure for doing that. Once that is done (in the next weeks), everything will be on cleverdot and you'll just let your Yahoo account expire and die.
    Last edited by mlseim; Apr 17th, 2021 at 09:46 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes, I still have SiteBuilder on my PC, and can make changes to my web pages, but can't upload to my website.
    Yes, I like the way the site looks. Some of the art work I designed myself. I don't need a flashy 2021 site.
    The money is really not a problem for me. I'm 81 and just don't want to get too involved with a complicated technical procedure. Because of the many pages designed over the years I would not attempt the lengthy process to rebuild the pages on another site. I also have 4 sub-domains and websites so I'm talking about around 200 pages. And I'm not sure I could find all the files on my PC. I was hoping for a new host that would let me use SiteBuilder and just upload all the pages to the new site. The lazy way.
    Or I was hoping there was a way to just go with another host and just "highlight and hit transfer". Or something like that.
    You are very generous with your time to offer your suggestions. I really appreciate what you are telling me. I'm now leaning towards just canceling with Yahoo and let the websites be completely deleted. I do hate to let my Navy shipmates and high school classmates down because the sites supplied current info to them.
    I will look cleverdot.com over.
    I guess one option would be to contract with a local commercial website builder, turn my PC over to them, and let then do all the tasks.
    Thanks again for replying.

Member #
    Liked
    757 times
    I'm not very familiar with your sitebuilder software on your PC.

It may be specifically programmed to be used with Yahoo Business?
    But maybe it's not ... perhaps it can be programmed with any webhost FTP access credentials.

If that's the case, you could still use sitebuilder with ANY webhost (including cleverdot).

If I were you, I would actually call or contact cleverdot and ask them about the software you are using.

In case you don't know what FTP is ... File Transfer Protocol is a connection you make with your webhost account. Using a login and password, it allows software (like an FTP program ... FileZilla for example) to allow files to be moved from your PC to your website (webhost directories and files). It's possible your sitebuilder has a way to enter a webhost's FTP credentials and upload directly to your website.

I'm confused about your webhost Yahoo Business ...
    Here are their prices:
    https://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/hosting/compare-plans

What plan do you actually have? Why is yours so expensive?
    Last edited by mlseim; Apr 17th, 2021 at 12:31 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have the Small Business Website. I didn't want any restrictions. When I first signed up I think the coat was $11.98 per month. What you were looking at is advertising -- probably with fine print, a hook, and increased cost down the line. I just don't trust Yahoo.
    I looked over cleverdot, liked what I saw, and sent them a message explaining I was using SiteBuilder and my problem. I'll see what they say and be happy to share with you. Thanks again for your reply.
    One option I could live with is to go ahead and pay the yearly fee for cleverdot for their Pro website and then go with a similar domain name and maybe just build a couple pages for each site.

Member #
    Liked
    757 times
    You donít need the pro. Just the basic one. Youíre not even using any SQL databases. No need for any special features. I use a cleverdot site just for storing files and data collection online ... my own private cloud.
    Last edited by mlseim; Apr 17th, 2021 at 04:29 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks. Good point.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I run a little hosting/webdesign company. If you need any help, drop me a line. Wouldn't mind helping out the troops at all.
    $1/year Portfolio Hosting with Promo Code: WEBDESIGNFORUMS

Agency: Marshalled Makers
    Hosting: Marshalled Makers Hosting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads