Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Pulling My Hair Out

I signed up with HostGator and use Weebly as the editor. Prior I was using Yahoo as the host and SiteBuilder as the editor. I was happy as a clam with Yahoo as I had lots of flexibility in building pages. But Yahoo has discontinued the ability to make changes. Well I'm not happy with HostGator and Weebly. The pages are too restrictive as to where you can put type and graphics. I made three columns of type on a page and the website displayed only one column. After a phone call to tech services I was told I needed to maximize the page on my monitor. I have a 22" monitor and the window was set at about 18". I guess the folks with a 16" monitor will see only one column of type. Then I wanted to place a dozen photos on the Gallery page and sometimes the photo I dropped in place would display another completely different photo. Again I called and the tech said they emptied the cache -- that solved the problem -- until I started working on a new page and then I had the same problem. Today I made several changes to pages two and three and when I go to the website the two pages can't be found. They were displaying the day before. So I'll be calling them again tomorrow. I'm not looking for answers, just complaining so I'll feel better.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Looked on-line this morning and all pages are displaying. That problem has been corrected. But still had to call again today, spoke to a nice polite lady from India with English accent, hard for a good ole country boy to understand. Why is it she understood my accent but I couldn't understand her's? The problem -- same as before -- photo in editor showing up in website as a different photo. Lady understood the problem, put me on hold, later came back and said she needed to put me on more hold, later I get the dial tone. I ain't got much hair left.
    Last edited by Printer; May 08th, 2021 at 12:35 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    What page has the 3 columns? I am not seeing that page. Put those “broken” pages on your menu even though you don’t think they work.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    What page has the 3 columns? I am not seeing that page. Put those “broken” pages on your menu even though you don’t think they work.
    The page is on a sub-domain. When I made the window wider the three columns displayed.

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    Can you give me a link to that page on your sub-domain?

Or private message me the link if you don't want it public.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    I would say it's working fine and looks good too. They are using <table> which surprises me unless you specifically selected that. Typically <table> is no longer used on web pages. The correct method is <div>.

Anyhow, below is three screenshots at different widths.

click to open full size.

collapse.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks. Interesting. I didn't select anything but "Text" and got a text box for each column. I never heard of <table>. When using SiteBuilder I could draw a text box and move it anywhere I wanted. SiteBuilder allowed lots more creativity than Weebly. I'm not proud of the websites compared to my old ones but the new ones will do. Any port in a storm.

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    So they must be putting your text in <table>, which you have no control over. The HTML <table> tag is designed for "tabular data". They are using it for displaying text 'in a box or area'.

I'm 60 years old, so I'm old too. "Old School" is the better term.

Our sites we did in 1995 to 2010 are pretty much 'crappy' looking to younger people. Weebly and WIX and the other "create your own" webpage sites are designed for the Millennium generation. So think about the information (content) you are providing and pay less attention to how it looks. The people visiting your site are the Greatest Generation (and maybe some Baby Boomers), not the Millennials.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You were helpful and I appreciate all you did. Since you told your age I have to tell mine -- 81. I want to brag and say I have many years in the newspaper publishing field. I'm very familiar with graphic design, both news pages and newspaper advertising. I once sold advertising and designed the ads I sold. I once was in a position where I checked the work of graphic artists who prepared ads to reproduce in multiple colors. I have run rotating printing presses and understand colors. I spent many years as a typesetter and consider myself an expert on fonts and sizes and their marriage with graphics. In my bias opinion I thought the pages in my original websites were first class. Those websites have now been deleted. Thanks Yahoo.
    Last edited by Printer; May 18th, 2021 at 10:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads