Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Publishing prices on website

Hi guys,

A simple and straightforward question: as a design agency/freelancer, should I publish the prices of my services on my website? I wonder what works best in general or your own business.

Thanks!

Manas

Member #
    Liked
    758 times
    It might be too hard to publish a number because every client will have different requirements and needs. Having a nice portfolio is a good thing. Show people what you’ve done.

Member #
    I think there is a market for very clear and transparent pricing to be available to prospective clients. If somebody is researching options for their design project and has a very limited budget, being able to quickly see which companies/freelancers are in their price range helps narrow down the field.

However, it's also very difficult to price up a project accurately, in advance of having any details on it. You could specify your hourly rate and throw out some ballpark figures on amount of estimated time involved for sites of varying degrees of scope, but it probably depends on the sort of projects you're going after. If you're very focused on a specific type of website, e.g. WordPress template sites for small local service companies requiring 5 - 10 pages, then you can probably bandy about some reasonably realistic costs. However, if you're aiming far and wide, then you could easily underestimate the work involved for a bigger project with wider scope, and do you want to turn down the chance to work on something big budget?

Personally when I see sites that have a price list of "packages" I'm generally dubious as to how personal a service I'm going to be getting. That's fine for something like software with a monthly cost where I don't expect personal service. But for a web design project I'd like to know my designer is on the same page as me, and not just going to jam my text on to a generic template they've bashed out 1,000 times before.

How would you envisage publishing your prices? Per project or as an hourly rate?

Remove Ads