Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Recommendation for Creating New Pages for Old Website

Believe it or not, I still have pages that were created in Adobe Pagemill - defunct for over 20 years. I'm very much the amateur, and I don't want to build a new website. I just want to create one page at a time and ftp it to my host to replace some of the existing pages. Can someone recommend a program for my Mac that I download, create a page, name it the same as the existing page, and then ftp it to overwrite the old page?

Member #
    How do you want to code these new pages? Adobe Dreamweaver is the most obvious example of a visual page editor that can also handle the upload, via FTP. But it's pretty dated now, and still costs a fair whack. A more modern alternative would be Visual Studio Code which is open source and therefore free.

Or you could just go really old skool and use a simple text editor and FTP client, like FileZilla

Member #
    Thanks for the reply. I have to admit my ignorance with terminology. I think what I’m after is what is generally referred to as wysiwyg. I’ve used Adobe Pagemaker and the Indesign for years in my work. A web page design program that somewhat mimics the way they work is what I’m after. I think the hesitation I’ve had with everything I’ve seen online is they seem to be designed to create an entire website. I just want to make one page at a time, then ftp it to my existing website to replace some dated pages. I’m not after bells and whistles. As long as I can create a page with text and images, I’m good. BTW, I use Fetch to upload my pages.
    Last edited by Sagtim; May 26th, 2021 at 08:16 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    757 times
    Give us a link to your old web pages (website) so we can see what is involved.

Member #
    My website is silentsaregolden.com. The index page was created in Freeway Pro which I find challenging to work with. All the other pages in my website were created using PageMill - I have a 2004 eMac that can still run PageMill, and whatever very infrequent updates I do, I do them on the eMac. Of course, Freeway is on my 2012 desktop iMac that's running OS10.13.6. I have updated the index page occasionally (maybe once every six months), but the rest of the pages probably haven't been updated in eight years or more - for a number of years I was doing regular updates (PageMill), new information, reviews, etc., etc. to the site. I was trying to figure an easy way to do a little better job of keeping the site current. I tried creating another page in Freeway, but when I uploaded it, it overwrote my index page - don't know what I did wrong, but I'm sure that gives you an indication of my level of expertise. I know I'm being particular, but I don't want to create a "website" in Freeway, which it seems is the expectation - any time you want a page, it must be built underneath the index page. I would like to be able to create a page on my desktop, name it the same as the page I wish to replace, then upload (ftp via Fetch) it to my host. And many thanks for hanging in there with me and offering your help.

Member #
    It does sound like DreamWeaver might do the job. Given the age of your machines I wonder whether you might be able to find an old version of DreamWeaver that will still work and won't cost the earth (in fact I'd hope you can find it for free). Your site is simple enough that a version of DreamWeaver from the 00s would probably be perfectly suitable

Member #
    Thanks! I’ll look around.

Remove Ads