Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Host for Subscription Platform

Hello

I have an idea that I am kicking around for a subscription website. First of all, I don't even know if what I want to do is possible. Second, after reading up on varies creation sites (Wix, Wild Apricot, etc), I am just more confused about which one would be better or more suited for my purposes.

I want to create a website that will be by subscription fee. For this fee, the user would receive a QR code (this part I have covered). The QR code would allow anyone supplied with this code by the user to link to a website page with information the user supplies. In both desktop and mobile format. So this information needs to be available for anyone, yet be secured so only the user can edit or delete the information.

I would like the host to be able to handle auto payments along with the sales of some merchandise.

Any advice on the above would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    756 times
    Do people still use QR codes?

Where would the QR codes be displayed where people would seeing them and then going to them?

How do I work a QR code with my desktop?

You canít use wix or any free webhost because you will need to have a user membership script and database.

Can you provide more info on the purpose? Are you allowing users to create their own page? Like MySpace?

Member #
    Say for example you have an item that you want people to be able to access information about, but you want only one person to control the information. I will use an airplane as an example. The airplane would have a QR code on the fuselage. Any pilot, inspector, mechanic, etc., could scan the code with their phone to see a list of past maintenance. This would be open information. However the owner or chief mechanic is the only one that can login to that information and update it accordingly.

Member #
    Liked
    756 times
    Is every page unique? Like some have lists, some have photos, some have files, or all mixed media?

Basically every page would be open to whoever views it ... no restrictions to see the page.
    But on each page would be a link (or login button) for the person(s) who can edit the page.
    That's the part that would be the "user management" script.

For someone to edit the page, that's a whole different ballgame depending on the content on the page. (text, images, files, videos, etc).

You need a good, easy editor so anyone with the login is capable of editing the page without needing to be a programmer.
    That's really the hardest part of the whole thing.

Then you need an admin section where a "super user" can manage all users (that can edit pages). And the super user can edit any page. When someone want to be the person to edit a page, the admin will have to determine if that person is really the correct person (not a hacker or troll).

It's sort of like this website you are on right now (web design forums). Anyone visiting can view any of the pages (threads and posts), but only I can edit my comments when I log in. Only YOU can edit your comments. But as a staff (admin) person I can edit mine AND yours. The 'user management' section of this website has permissions set for every person that registered. If someone registers and posts troll comments, I can delete them with a click of a button.
    Last edited by mlseim; Jun 14th, 2021 at 01:35 PM.

Member #
    So this isn't something that can be done using a form. Who ever updates the information would need access to the website to update the information?

Member #
    Liked
    756 times
    I think that's where I am confused. "Separate web pages" seems to make me think they are all unique and mixed media.

It could be a form if they are just entering text or uploading files. If they have to upload images with text and arrange them on the screen, edit them, or control the fonts, colors, etc. then they need a more elaborate editor.

A person visiting the page who is the page "owner" would log-in and they would then have permission to make changes only to their page.

If you are making some sort of maintenance system with text data, you don't need separate "web pages" for each QR code. Using a PHP script with an SQL database you would save all information in a database and only display information that matches the QR code.

Each maintenance entry would have timestamps, work done, by whom, possibly check lists, and even PDF files that contain manuals, procedures, etc.

There are already professional maintenance systems that are written in PHP/SQL that can be purchased and installed on a shared webhost (like GoDaddy).

Member #
    Thank you for your time. This gives me something to look into.

Remove Ads