Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mlseim
  • 1 Post By mlseim

Thread: Is it possible to create a site in a text editor, to match the speed performance of w

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Is it possible to create a site in a text editor, to match the speed performance of w

Hi, it seems like its better to create a website with a text editor, as wordpress has tons of its own code to know, before been able to create a functioning website. But, I am just wondering, whether the speed performance will be too slow, for a user, as I know that, it should not take more than 3 seconds now, for it to load, otherwise the user will just leave your website.

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    Sure you can, but the features you need (pertaining to PHP/SQL) will require scripting of your own.
    Your hand-made site may be much faster than wordpress but the learning curve to scripting will be long.

Wordpress is way bloated with unnecessary code ... but it's made for people who don't want to spend time learning to script websites themselves.
    spencer likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks, is there an alternative CMS to wordpress, that doesn't have tons of unecessary code, that I can use javascript and php, Sql for creating websites.

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    It depends on the complexity. If you only need to allow the users to alter text only, then itís easy. But if they can edit text, fonts, colors, and images, then itís hard.

What content management do your users need to be able to manage?
    spencer likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    No, I have not managed to put a complete site together yet, Maybe I am getting confused. I thought wordpress was a content management system. but maybe its called a framework. I was just wondering whether there was an alternative to using wordpress to build sites, that one can also put there basic php and javascript skills into practice.

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    Wordpress is a CMS (content management system).

The idea is that the owner of the website can log-in as admin and alter (or manage) all of the content themselves without hiring a webmaster or programmer.

Anyone can learn Wordpress and any can use that for their website. In fact, anyone can get a "free" Wordpress account and not pay anything. There are a lot of limits to this, but it can be done. That's how I tell people how to learn Wordpress themselves and see how it works.

You want to customize Wordpress. That's different. Now you need to have some scripting experience (PHP, SQL, javascripting, HTML, etc).

If you don't want to use Wordpress, you can create your own web pages using plain HTML, but they will be just plain static pages and your customers will not know how to edit the content.

In order to have a CMS website that your customers can edit themselves, you have to program it yourself (using PHP) or find an existing PHP script and incorporate that into your "hand-made" website. Again, you'll have to learn PHP/SQL/javascripting ect.

Finally, you can tell your customers to use square,com and they can create their own website and do the content themselves. Now they don't need you for anything except consultation or to help them figure it out.

So your future interest in web design and development amounts to learning PHP/SQL/javascripting to either customize wordpress themes, make your own themes, or make websites without wordpress ... you create your own thing.

There are pre-made PHP scripted websites that don't use wordpress, but you have to customize everything yourself and still have programming skills.

I don't want to discourage you, I'm just telling you what it is ... you won't get far without diving into programming and scripting.

EDIT:
    You can find scripts like these ... they cost around $10-$60 each:
    https://codecanyon.net/item/blogger-...e-cms/34178784

So with that, you download the files and install them yourself on your website. Then you customize it yourself.
    But you own it and can do whatever you want with it. Requires PHP/SQL knowledge.

That's a good way to do a website without wordpress. You learn PHP and get a site that does something.

They have 2700 PHP scripts:
    https://codecanyon.net/category/php-scripts
    Last edited by mlseim; Oct 25th, 2021 at 02:39 PM.

Member #
    If you simply want a static website, make sure to check out github pages.

Remove Ads