Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: What makes a good site?

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Feel free to reply with your own points.

1. Content. Your site sucks and is a waste of space and bandwidth if it is yet another godawful anime, general computer help, or other useless redundant pointless site.

2. XHTML compliancy. Absolutely never rely on a certain browser, so make your code XHTML 1.0 Transitional compliant (http://validator.w3.org/). This means that at this point, it's the browser's fault for not rendering your page right, not yours. Explosively gaining popularity browsers such as Firebird strictly adhere to these specifications. Be CSS compliant as well.

3. Remember that millions of Americans are vision-impared. That means never rely on color to convey a point, use large font sizes, and avoid text in images wherever possible.. ABSOLUTELY NEVER use a light-on-dark color scheme...it's murder to view on some monitors and with some vision impediments.

4. Absolutely never rely on browser extensions or client-side scripting to make your page. That means avoid Flash, Java, and Javascript wherever possible.
    htmlcode, selly, yogsite and 5 others like this.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I'll have more to post up after tonight, I just wanted to post a quick opinion right now!

For a website to be good, in my opinion, I believe it should be:
    [list=1][*]Accessible: A website has to have an understandable level of navigation, as no one likes to get lost on a troublesome website.[*]Content: If a website doesn't have anything that is worth reading, why should I go there? If a website has an interesting topic that hasn't been done, or something that needs to have a broader amount of information for it, then it should have alot of good, well-written content.[*]Asthetics: The website should not hurt my eyes, or make me want to leave before I have seen it. Some of the NO's of web design are found on this board, and are good reference as to what you should NOT do.[*]Download: If it takes forever for a specific site to download to your browser, it's usually nothing great to wait for. A website should be designed to load decently fast on most connections, although loading time should never hinder the designers ability to prove a point or convey a message.[*]Creativity: The site should be creative and new. If no one has seen it before, it has so much more value. Don't steal peoples templates if you want to Woah! people and other designers. Make something new and creative to show of your skills, and to show what a good designer can really do.[*]Domain Name: Don't have a crappy, long, hard to remember domain name... People hate to type http://www.thisismywebsiteseeifyouca...berthisurl.com to see a website. Good websites have good domain names.[*]Updates: Have a routine for updating content and old data. People enjoy new content and news, so try to stay up to date with it.[*]Keep to one style: Have one style to your website. Don't have a professional website with childish antics or colors, fonts, and images. Same goes with the opposite. Try to keep a good streamline standard for your designs. This helps keep the masses coming back.[/list=1] I'll have more further on down the road, I'm fairly new to the website design scene, and I have to work in 20 minutes.

Cheers and good luck to any new designers who have read this!
    saoire, selly and Trupti like this.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Your point #6 reminds me of a critical one: don't get a .tk domain. Spend then SEVEN WHOLE DOLLARS to get an actual TLD.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    LoL. Also try not to use freehosts like Geocities or Angelfire. EWWW.

TK is pretty garbage. Work for me though! Later Filburt!
    abdul-9 likes this.

A small village near a small city near a small cit
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    hey free hosts arent that bad for youngsters (like moi, although i have a dotcom now) e.g. www.brinkster.com were very good until they put banners on my site >: ( but theyre still pretty good, but i suppose ftp and a dotcom is the who
    tekp :cheeky: tekponline.com

A small village near a small city near a small cit
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    whoops didnt mean to post twice :S

my point

1. try your very hardest not to get popups, banners are *waggles hand* not so bad but popups are the worst, if too many popups come up people\ will leave your site before they see it - people dont like their comps crashed
    saoire likes this.
    tekp :cheeky: tekponline.com

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    On the free hosts note: I'd like to point out it costs less than $25 a year to host a website and domain.

I'll use an example of a plan that costs $15/year (easily found in todays competitive market). It wont be a brilliant host, but very much worth your money. Godaddy costs $7 for domain registration

Total (per year): $22
    Total (per month): $1.83
    Total (per day) : $0.06

6 cents a day folks... I'd be willing to bet you loose that in your sofa. I'm sorry but the whole "I'd rather spend my money other places" just doesn't work when it's that rediculously cheap. If you're that desperately needing money you wouldn't be on a computer right now.

I'll come back in a few to post my list of what makes a good site.
    selly likes this.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Another useful thing for a good website to have is a good color scheme. If a site has nice colors that are appealing to most users, then more people will come back, as it will be something nice to look at, and they might even remember how nice the color scheme was!

:classic:
    maggie colnett, saoire and selly like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I agree with newfiewebguru! absolutely!
    Colours are very important. Never use colors that can irritate, too much yello, red or orange or wite on black etc. If the colors go well with the main idea of a website, it's a big pusl. Just the example:
    http://www.1-800-espresso.com/forum.html
    Could they choose better color scheme for their coffee site?

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    E-Z - that site looks great! Awesome for an expresso site.

I have to disagree about the "too much yellow, red, or orange" though. There are cases in which you want to "excite" your visitors or really grab their attention... in those cases, yellow and orange work well. Here's an example of one of mine in yellow: www.uselise.com (I use yellow and orange a lot in this way).

And there are cases in which you want to "seduce" your visitors or when red just symbolizes your product. Great example is www.ferrari.com (although their site is a little too chaotic to make use of the color effectively).

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads