Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Flash Websites?

Member #
    Im interested in making a flash website, are there any good tutorials on the internet to help me get started?

Member #
    Underconstruction
    Volleyball Website

Member #
    www.kirupa.com <<

(flashkit is a mess )

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    As far as I know flash sites take too much time to download and visitors don't like them. Besides they are not so good for search engines. So why do you decide to make it flash?

Member #
    Only use it if you have some rreally good additions that you would like to add to the site that you wouldn't be able to acheive with normal html and images. I have seen a lot of sites recently that use flash and take ages to load. I get one them expecting something half decent when all i see are a load of simple mouse over effects on menus that could be done simply with image roll over with html.

I would suggest you used only a small bit of flash for certain areas such as banners and adverts. For the text just use normal html because it will be quicker to load and will be better for search engines to list because they will be able to read what is on your site whereas in flash the bots can't read what is on your site.

But then again it's up to you.
    Daniel.

Member #
    Or of course, you could make an entry page with 2 versions:

Flash Version
    HTML Version

This takes longer to make, but then you are making for both types of visitors. Just an idea!
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Originally posted by E-Z TechWeb
    So why do you decide to make it flash?
    Allow me to illustrate by example:

- http://www.budweiser.com
    - http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/

Sometimes you just don't care about search engines. People will find your site by typing in the name. And you need the multimedia capabilities of flash to better advertise your product, because your entire site is a commercial. In cases like this, flash is better.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    The search engine issue is becomming not so much an issue anymore:
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...ch_engines.htm

Another detraction from flash is that you could not bookmark pages in a flash movie, you had to start from the beginning each time, but that is being corrected also.

Plus reguarding making an html and flash site. Transio correct me if im wrong but with flash's ability to use xml files you could effectivly write your sites content in xml and use that information in both sites so all you would have to do is creat a shell for both and populate it with the xml data.. This is my main reason for trying to learn xml for clients who want flash sites but also want to keep an html version.

Remove Ads