Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Web forum reciepe?

Hi, i'm new to web design and i would love to make my own forum i can make decent web pages in front page etc.. And have statrted learning about Forums. Can anyone step me through exactly what you need i understand you need to use SQL but need to know exactly what recipie is needed to create a web forum. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Web forums are rarely custom-made. Most are just plug-in scripts from phpbb, invisionboard, or vbulletin (like this one).

Member #
    Thanks for the advise, really appreciated! I have downloaded a template from PHPBB.com and the files are in php format, my pc wont run these files... What program will allow me to see these files? Do i have to compile them into a web server program?

Member #
    You would need to install php which is available here.
    .: Kleptos :.

Member #
    Thanks for that mate! just that when i downlaod PHP its shown as a .tar.jz file and then that wont run either? i am i doing something wrong? Thanks...

Member #
    Are you installing this on Windows or Linux or anything else? If your installing on Windows, you can download a zip package or a windows installer. If your using Linux i think its already installed, not sure about the linux part of it.
    .: Kleptos :.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    If you have a hosting account, you can probably run PHP from your hosted server.

Member #
    I'm using windows IIS as a hosting server... it stores the files fine but they look strange when you open it so it musn't be compatable... I'm pretty sure PHPBB works with Linux on an Apache webserver but i dont know Linux at all..... Are there other web forum templates i can download that are comaptiable with IIS....? Cheers!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Now...first you will need to set up any Apache server...filburt wrote a very helpful tutorial to install all of the things you need (Apache, PHP and MySQL) forget about IIS, you can use only the mail server from it (maybe soon i'll write a tutorial on that). After you're done there are a lot of forums to choose from...I recommend phpbb
    Then you'll have to find a tutorial explaining how to set it up (maybe I'll write one of those too ) and then you're done. But you will have to know if people from internet can access your computer...that's from me. Good Luck! :classic:

Member #
    Thanks for that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads