Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I recently got dreamweaver and flash etc etc and I want to start making websites.

I have done loads before but they where only side projects that never got finished or where really basic. I want to start making them better more like a pro instead of some twat with frontpage.

ARe there any tips or things I should do to start into serious web-design?

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Learn XHTML or HTML CSS befor you fire up any software. Also learn CSS. You do not need dreamweaver or flash to create websites.. In fact many horriable sites are desined in those applications every day. Creating a professional site is not what the software does.. that is up to the desinger, they are just tools. I cannot emphasize how important learning how to correctly markup your pages is, More times then not, if you use dreamweaver in design mode instead of working with the code, Dreamweaver will hack up your code, and you will not know what's going on. So you need to be able to open the hood and know your way around. Dreamweaver cannt correct poor design.

It is not hard.. i reccomend going to W3Schools There is some excellent information that will help get you up to speed quickly.

Member #
    Learn the principles of 'Design' instead of just being another coder that can put a basic page togeather. - Learning how to use colour, typography, white space will all help.

Go straight for XHTML as HTML is old, and CSS is a must also.

Member #
    Thats more what i meant, I want to DESIGN websites thats why I dont want to get too far into coding. I like to have simple, minimlstic design but dont want it to look bad or low-tech etc etc.

Any DESIGN tips?

And that is a great great logo/avater how did you do that?

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    If all you want to do is DESIGN websites, but not actually put them into production then good luck in your career. If you are going to be creating decent sites you need to learn how to mark up(code) your documents. Otherwise you end up with bloated overeflated code littered with misplaced markup and you will have to consetntly trouble shoot your pages.. but you wont be able to because you dont know how to read the markup..

As far as design/astetics that is up to the designer. I am a huge fan of minimalist design but it is hard to do well. You need to know your elements and markup to do fine adjustments. The signature trait of minimalist design is that it works and looks the same in virtually all browsers. In order to achive that you need to know how to use your parts. If you try to avoid learning the code you will have a hard time.

My background in webdesign is I am a designer. My sites have to be visually appealing. But befor I can get to any of that my sits have to work properly. And that invloves getting into the markup/code. Think of it like this.. you would not start building a performance car by sewing seats together and deciding on rims.. You need to start with the engine, suspension, steering, handling .. then after you have something truly exceptional you can wrap a nice skin around it.

I am only saying this because you stated you wanted to get serious with webdesign. And you cant get serious if all you want to do is design sites.

Member #
    Learning the basic structure of (x)html is inevitable if you want to make good websites. If you don't want to dive deep into the coding side of things Flash sounds a better route to take, as almost everything is visual.

Get your ideas down on paper before you move on to software. There are few fonts that look good and remain readable on a computer screen; verdana/georgia/arial being at the top. Just search the web there's loads of design related advice etc...

I'd highly recommend this Resource.

My avatar was made by: pencil+paper doodles, digitized in Macromedia Freehand then the transitions were done in Adobe ImageReady.

Member #
    PS. I do not want webdesign as a job just a hobby and I do want to learn the code as what hope would I have at making good websites if i dont know how they work? When I said about not wanting to get into code i was talking about here i know i have to learn code and i will do that but was looking for advice about sites?

E.G. Genral stuff which you lot take for advantage that newbies may not know about? Stuff that is usually hidden not common sense ones such as bad use of thumbnails or no flashing objects as i already do that

Thank you

Remove Ads