Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all,

i am working on intranet and i need to upload an excel sheet to the intranet, but can i make the different users open and edit it then those changes saved so that when another user open the file he see last changes..

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    You will need a Document Management System if multiple people will be working on the same file. The reason is that if two people are working on the file simultaneously it will cause problems and the files will need to be merged. There are many of pre-packaged systems like Microsoft SourceSafe (probably the best known) that allow documents to be checked-out like a library book so that only one person can modify a document at a given time. There are also web-based document management systems. I know MS has one, but it's super-expensive (like $20k USD). You could probably emulate much of the functionality of a DMS using PHP, but it would be a pretty involved project. You might want to look around for existing open-source DMS projects using PHP.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    PS - The easy way to do this would be to use FTP instead of HTTP to allow them to read and write. Then, you will just have to give each author an FTP account on your document server.

Member #
    thanks a lot transio,
    but how to use ftp. what i need is simply when a user clicks on a link the excel file is opened then he edit it and save changes, but how changes would be saved on server, when another user open the file later he can see the changes on the file.

Remove Ads