Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have to start working on a website for Alumnus of a school. The project entails
    that
    1. it should be a dynamic site that takes inputs from users and displays their input,
    2. Should be created in a .net environment.

I have not done this before and not used the .net environment much.
    So if i DESIGN in Dreamweaver, where does the .net environment paly a part in this website after all the pages have been created.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I assume the .net environment pre-requisitive suggests that they want more than a Dreamweaver site...

Better get reading, if I were you.... like J2EE, .NET is a vast subject... I assume the school requires some sort of dynamic content/database access?

Sean

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by seanmiller
    I assume the .net environment pre-requisitive suggests that they want more than a Dreamweaver site...

Better get reading, if I were you.... like J2EE, .NET is a vast subject... I assume the school requires some sort of dynamic content/database access?

Sean
    Yes! Since the database is not going to grow too rapidly, as not that many students are graduating from the Universities computer science department, they want to use access. It is going to be duynamic content. So where should i start?
    ASP,,,, .net ??

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Demion
    Yes! Since the database is not going to grow too rapidly, as not that many students are graduating from the Universities computer science department, they want to use access. It is going to be duynamic content. So where should i start?
    ASP,,,, .net ??
    Dreamweaver MX2004 supports .Net with all (I think) of the stanard ASP.Net controls available (and others addable by creating tags). Database access to SQL Server is built in, but you can use ODBC to use Access or even MySQL. All this is accessed from the "Application" Tab. Unless you need to write a lot of code you do not need to go outside Dreamweaver. If you do however then try ASP.Net Web Matrix which is a free (yes free) development application by Microsoft, community supported - get it from http://www.asp.net which is also a good site for learning ASP.Net and has code snippets etc. Web Matrix is officially beta, but is pretty slick, and there are loads of add-in controls that can be downloaded (some free some not). The only issue is that it does not offer auto-complete so you need to know your code (either VB or C#), for auto-complete you have to use Visual Studio.Net which is a lot of bucks. With Web Matrix you also get a free ASP.Net server which you can use for testing. Pretty good value and well supported.

Remove Ads