Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Part 1 - The Face

I was going for a water effect, but I wasn't sure how to get exactly what I wanted.

I started by cutting out my face from a picture of myself, using the Polygonal Lasso Tool and smoothed out the edges with the eraser tool. Then, I took the base image and smoothed it a little in the forehead using the smudge tool (see Figure 1).

Next, I did a Gradient Map of the resulting image using blues, and did a Plastic Wrap of the entire selection, resulting in the rough water look in Figure 2

Next, I duplicated the base image (in Figure 1) using Ctrl+J and did Ctrl+Click on the new Layer to select everything. I did a Gaussian Blur to smooth out the beard, then did a Plastic Wrap resulting in the Image in Figure 3

Then, I put that layer above the dark blue layer and changed the layer's Blending Options to Luminosity. (See Figure 4). Note - this figure shows the top layer alone (without the rough water layer below it).

Next, I duplicated the base image again, and put this layer to the top again. I airbrushed and smudged the surface to get a nice ripple to it, an plastic wrapped it again. Then I set the layer's Blending Mode to Soft Light. (See Figure 5).

Finally, I turned off the base layer, and turned on my 3 top layers together. The result is Figure 6
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Part 2 - The Hair

For the hair, I didn't want to use any crappy fire rendering software, because they all look the same. Too perfect to be real.

So what I did was search the net for a nice photo of a fire that would look good as my hair.

Then, I used the Clone Tool to put chunks of fire over the image of my face, and feathered out the edges with the Eraser Tool set to Airbrush for style.

Next, I did a Ctrl+Click on the face layer and hit delete while on the hair layer was selected, which cut out any overlap of the face.

Finally, I airbrushed in some reflections for the face layer on a new layer to mimic the fire reflecting in the glassy face.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Part 3 - The Eyes

Basically what I did for the eyes was I cut them out using the Polygonal Lasso and put them on their own layer. Then, I eliminated the eyelashes and smoothed everything out using the Smudge Tool.

Finally, I did a selection of each iris and changed the color using Hue / Saturation Settings, and cleaned everything up with the smudge tool and paintbrush tool.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Part 4 - The Lips

All I did for the lips was cut them onto their own layer and chage the Hue / Saturation.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    The Final Image

Here it is!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    The Original Image

I think I deleted the original image, but it looked something like this. It was taken at the same time.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Woohoo! Sunkist orange soda!
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Gotta love it :-P

JR
    Member #
    you have way too much time on your hands!! :laugh: but good job submitting this detailed tutorial - i will surely be reading it in the future :classic:

also we don't have sunkist here in england i think we used to have it it might be called Fanta or Tango now i don't know! lol
    JR

Member #
    Wow, thanks transio. Now I might try this on my own, but I'll use my own images (gotta be slightly original, don't I?) If I make anything half-decent, I'll post it. Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads