Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Also, for photos, it's better image quality per byte - and if you're doing a sequence with this, bytes become VERY important.

Member #
    Be careful using 'trace bitmap'.
    You can easily make your filesize larger than it would have been if you had just used the original bitmap.

Unless you need to scale/resize your image in flash, you are probably better of using .png's.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Gabe,

That's not true. If you're tracing a B/W bitmap with 500 color depth, it will result in a VERY SMALL vector graphic. Trace Bitmap only makes large graphics when you use too many colors or too much precision.

EDIT - the example I showed you above results in a 15k SWF, which is fantastic, considering the original JPG alone is 14.5K

Member #
    Transio,
    It is true.

Your tutorial is fine, but I thought it was worthy to mention that using high settings in 'trace bitmap' will give you higher file sizes than you need.

Actually, take it from the source:
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...p_settings.htm

interesting tutorial though, don't get me wrong

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Gabe,

For the purposes of masking, you don't need high settings. In fact, more colors would decrease the effectiveness of a mask at the edges and make reshaping it a pain. I've found that if you optimize the resultant vector and nip and tuck the edges to perfect it manually it's even better (and smaller).

Banned
    Member #
    nice tut but possibly makes more sense to just import a png

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Not sure. How's anti-aliasing on a png? How's size?

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Good use of masks in Flash. This allows you to take advantage of the smaller file size of jpgs (and gifs for that matter) and still have the same smooth sharp edges that pngs offer. I am not sure if people are understanding but he is not tracing the color jpg (that would make things large). Only the black and white gif. and using it to mask out the background of his jpg. Then wrapping it nicely in a Movie Clip. Yes its a little more work then just using a png but you get a smaller file.

BTW good idea to use a gif for the masking image instead of another jpg image. You avoid the lossy nature of jpgs that could 'fuzz up' the edges of your mask.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    glyakk ;-)

thx for the positive comments.

Incidentally, the GIF is not a part of the final SWF, as it is masked prior to export, and therefore not even required. You could go one step further and delete the GIF from the FLA, but I'm obsessive compulsive and like to keep things redundant.

I really suggest that you all try out this technique if you want to create low-bandwidth transparent 3d sequences. Even better, you could make the sequence into an MPG and then use the traced GIFs to mask the MPG sequence. I bet that would be super-compact. If anyone has the opportunity, let me know how it works!!!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    This is a very old tutorial and an antiquated technique.

Newer versions of Flash support PNGs.

Use of compressed PNGs in Flash is advised.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads