Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    http://www.looseleafmusic.com

Above is the IFRAME version. Below is the DIV version.

http://www.looseleafmusic.com/index2.htm

I understand that DIVs are better than Iframes. Well, i dont really understand. The only reason i want to change to divs is because of search engine optimization (the content in the iframes does not register with the search engine spiders)

The only problem i am having with the DIVS are those inactive horizontal scroll bars. Why are they there? Can i get rid of them? If i cannot then divs aparently are not the way to go if they are gonna ugly up my design.

Someone please let me know if there is a solution to removing those horizontal scroll bars.

Thanks once again,
    -nick
    Nickhead
    musicpitt.net

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    In your css you probably this on the div you want to scroll.
    HTML Code:
    overflow: scroll;
    Although that seems to make sense, it will cause scroll bars to appear automatically. Even if you dont want them.

Use this instead,
    HTML Code:
    overflow: auto;
    This will cause scrollbars to appear only if needed.

Member #
    thanks a lot. Fixed that right up.
    Nickhead
    musicpitt.net

Member #
    I am so glad to find this site because I have been trying to solve this problem for days. I added the code

<DIV
    align=left
    style='
    color: #333333;
    background-color: #CCCCCC;
    width: 380px;
    height: 330px;
    overflow: auto;
    '>

to my site and it works fine in Safari but in IE for Mac (which I never use) I still get the bottom scroller. It scrolls maybe 15 pixels, just enough to look like trash and cut off the end of sentences. Am I missing something?
    Does anybody know of a good scroller with customizable bars that will work in a nested table? I bought DragScroller (www.fourlevel.com) but it won't work in tables so I am screwed again.

BTW, I am using Dreamweaver MX2004 for coding if that helps.

Thanks for the tips so far, great forum!

Member #
    Rhett, I'd reccomend you make a new thread about this. You have a different problem than the title of the thread suggests, so you may have better luck with a new thread.
    -----------------------------------------------
    I know just enough to be dangerous to myself and others around me... I'm more of a CSS kamikaze than a CSS ninja...

Member #
    IE for mac sux - I know it doesn't answer the question... It doesn't handle overflow correctly. You'll be fine since most people (I think it's 97 or 98 per cent) use PC and in that group 87 per cent use IE...

Member #
    I'd probably say more that 3% of the internet population use Macs myself. I'd probly say that it's more like 90% are PC users, and 70% use I.E (FireFox is getting popular).

Note: These are just estimated stats, not from any sources or anything.
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    so yeah, you're right about users, but still I'd say 97-98 per cent use PC...

Member #
    Thanks all, I'll try that. Unfortunately MY target market is HEAVILY Mac. I don't know the actual numbers but I have yet to see a PC in one of their offices or shops (although I'm sure someone's gotta be using one) and everyone at my company uses Mac's for everything from accounting to industrial CAD work. I only hope they are using Safari because it works fine in that.
    Oh and for what it's worth I tested it on a PC with IE and it looks terrible as well but mostly a type rendering issue.

Remove Ads