Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    hi my name is satya. i have an urgent situation, and i havent got a time to search the forum. sorry.

has anyone here experienced in putting chinese character into HTML (not capture the text then put it as image)?

i'm having a problem. i'm developing a website that contains chinese characters.

in Microsoft Word, i open the document (from my client of course), the chinese character displays with no problem, cos i think the word document embeded the font (pu ming font?) into the document i guess. this condition applies in windows explorer too. i had no problem in my system.

but. when i try to copy the text into dreamweaver.. here goes...

in my PC (office), the character shows OK.
    but in my home PC, it turned into unknown font that looks like boxes... and if i try to open the html in the browser, it shows nothing but a "question marks".

note: my browser shows chinese/ japanese/ korean websites like samsung.co.kr with no problem at all..

the question is:
    how do i put the chinese character into HTML?
    - do i have to put some special coding?
    - do i have to ask client to send the font, and embed the font into html? how?
    - how do i do, if i want to browser (any browser in any pc) to auto-install font?
    - do i have to change my PC into windows chinese version to develop this?
    - do i have to change the typing (in windows there's a type manager for keyboard in control panel) into chinese? if i change, how do i type or read, since I DONT UNDERSTAND A SINGLE WORD OF IT

HELP!

p.s. making website with chinese/japanese in the worst nightmare in my life... hiks.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    I checked out their site, and it looks like they're using a combination of fonts and language definitions in CSS:

http://samsung.co.kr/common/css/public.css

Looks like you have to tell the browser that the text is in whatever language, just like you would tell it what font it is in.
    Does this help you?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    It's been a while since I've developed for Chinese, so I don't remember everything, but here goes!
    how do i put the chinese character into HTML?
    Try putting this in the <head> section of your site:

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=big5" />

Big5 is the primary Chinese character-set used today.

If that doesn't work, try this:

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=utf-8" />

UTF-8 (Unicode) is an all-inclusive character-set that includes Chinese characters.
    do i have to put some special coding?
    No. You should be able to just cut and paste
    do i have to ask client to send the font, and embed the font into html? how?
    No. Specifying the character-set used in the document is enough. The client will then have to translate that character-set using the appropriate DBCS (double-byte character set) - in this case, Big5.
    how do i do, if i want to browser (any browser in any pc) to auto-install font?
    You don't want to force the browser to install a font. I believe MS System font handles all Big5 and UTF-8 characters. In that case, everything should show fine.
    do i have to change my PC into windows chinese version to develop this?
    You may have to install the Chinese character-set on your home computer (in locale settings) to view the site in Chinese if the character-set isn't specified. Again, I'm not 100% sure because it's been a couple years.
    do i have to change the typing (in windows there's a type manager for keyboard in control panel) into chinese?
    Not sure. Try the other stuff first and see if it works that way.

Member #
    Like Transio said, you'd have to install the Chinese character set on th computer. For people to view the characters online they would have to have their browser encoding set at Chinese. Though you may be using UTF-8, from what I've seen [with Japanese text anyhow] you may still not get the full range of characters.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Here, I made an example for you (see attachment below):

Member #
    transio: whoaaa thx!!!! ill try!

btw, where can i DL chinese font pack?

Member #
    huhuuuy!!!!!

i put <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=big5" />
    big thx to all! heheheh

problem solve. so far...
    but when if i try to input some text into CMS via textfield in the form?
    will it come out the same result?

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    tomokisan, it should work with form data just fine, as long as your copying the text from a Big5 encoded source AND the form contains the character-set meta tag also.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    PS - you might want to double-check your database to make sure it's set up for DBCS characters. I think the default is ASCII (single byte), which could screw up the encoding.

Member #
    I am making a site that will be displaying Chinese and English characters together side by side. If I specify both meta types in the head will I be able view both languages in the page? I'm asking because I can't find my CD to install the chinese fonts.

And what if the user does not have the fonts installed? The site will have all its titles in both chinese and english so would no doubt be unsightly if the browser never had chinese characters installed and there was loads of little boxes instead. Can anyone point me to a more graceful degredation or some sort of client/server side checking of which chartypes are supported?
    Any good links on the topic of chinese on english sites would be appreciated. Thx.
    www.appletv.co.uk

Remove Ads