Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have two versions of a site I am producing. One has a banner / header at the top of the page like most sites, and the other has no border, it goes straight into the content of the page so that no space is wasted on the page.

I am doing this by having two different style sheets that the user can switch between by clciking on a javascript link. this works fine, there is no problem doing this.

the problem is that, after the banner at the top, I inserted four <BR> tage so that the first line of text appears below the banner. Now when I show the user the version without the banner, the text still appears in the same place, so I have a block of whitespace at the top of the page.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could move the text up to the top when I use my alternate style sheet? (the one without the banner).

thanks for your time,
    Mark Hughes

Member #
    I have fixed this problem now, only to create another (as is usually the case with css in my experience).

I placed all the text for the page in a div layer. This was 95% height, 98% width of the page, absolute positioning. Then I padded the text 15 pixels from the left of the page. #

In the first style sheet this appears as ormal, and in the alternate sheet I positioned the div layer 10 pixels from the top of the page. So now when you switch style, the text moves to the top if the banner is not enabled.

The problem now is that my footer behaves strangely, and tries to get nested in my text div layer. So it is 15 pixels from the left of the page also making it look wrong. I have tried to move the </div> tags around at the end of the document, but the other thing that happens is that the footer jumps to near the top of the page, covering some text. Aaarggh!

Remove Ads