Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi, i posted a few days ago about this and was told to re-post with some examples of the problem i'm having.
    basically, i create a layer in dreamweaver and it looks fine in the design view, but it doesnt line up in mozilla (my fav and default browser). So to fix this, i offset the layer's position to compensate for the 'error'. Now, after putting together a small test i noticed that the layers don't line up in internet explorer.
    here's the test page: http://www.forced-evolution.com/temp/newstest.html
    and for those of you who dont want to try it in a different browser, i've taken screenshots comparing the two:
    http://www.forced-evolution.com/temp/alignment.jpg

anybody have any idea how i can get these layers aligned correctly on both browsers? I'm not coding this project at all.. i'm simply a visual designer (and an amateur at that). any help is greatly appreciated!

Member #
    Ouch, I have no idea why that is happening...I guess because IE is such a bum..LOL
    --Kevin
    15" MacBook Pro With: Mac OSX 10.4.11(Tiger) 1440x900 Windows XP SP2 3GB RAM 1TB HDD
    kevind_2007--"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way."--Babe Ruth

Links:Firefox Download||Google|| HTML Help||DHTML|| Web Design Terminology||Good-Tutorials

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kevind_2007
    Ouch, I have no idea why that is happening...I guess because IE is such a bum..LOL
    yes indeed..
    i've heard that mozilla is standards compliant, and that is why things look "messed up" in moz (ironic no?).
    I suppose i'll have to learn enough javascript to help me detect the browser and offset my layers by x/y pixels. hopefully the offset is uniform.. if not i have no idea what i'll do then..

Member #
    Add this in your <head></head> section:
    <style type="text/css">
    <!--
    body {
    margin-top: 7px;
    padding-top: 7px;
    }
    -->
    </style>
    you can add margin-left and padding-left as well.

Play with numbers

Member #
    hey, that did the trick! thanks alot.
    i wonder how it makes things work in both browsers? i mean, if you add 7 pixels of margin to both browsers, and one was already offset by say.. 6 or 7, wouldnt that offset the *other* browser by said ammount? lol
    how confusing, but anyway.. it's fixed. many thanks.

Member #
    All browsers have different padding and margins by default. You just have to set it to same value for all browsers, so you are using CSS and it does the trick

Member #
    okay, i've run into another problem..
    everything is lined up nearly pixel perfect now in each browser. except for 1 layer!
    check out this image for a comparison:
    http://www.forced-evolution.com/temp/odd_movement.jpg

the page in question resides at http://www.forced-evolution.com/coh/
    it's not a major issue, it just boggles my mind as to why this layer wont line up on both browsers when other layers are lining up *exactly*.

if anybody knows the solution to this problem i'd be greatly appreciative.

thanks again for all your help thus far.

Remove Ads