Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am using the background image property to create text link buttons using CSS. The image does not change for the different rollover states, only the text color, and border color.

Using IE there is a latency between the link/visited state and the hover state with the image (very small and tiled) taking a moment to appear. This spoils the rollover effect as the border and text appear a noticeable fraction of a second before the image.

In Netscape this is not apparent, the rollovers are perfect.

Anybody got a hack to fix this?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Got an example link?
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    http://www.aloehealthuk.com

The problem seems to be that as the rollover states change the image is downloaded each time (I can see "downloading...." flash up in the status bar), with a dial up connection there is obviously a lag. The background-image property is not inherited I believe, so each css tag has to have the background-image property set? As the same image is used each time I cannot see that pre-loading will help, nor can I see why the image is downloaded rather than using a cached version.

Member #
    The rollovers seem to work for me in both IE and Firefox, with no noticeable lag. I'm on a high speed connection, but I didn't see any signs that the rollover was being downloaded as I rolled over it.

Member #
    I am on a 64k ISDN and if I move the cursor over the buttons from top to bottom or vice versa I get a trail of blank spaces (only text and border). It only flashes up for a fraction of a second, but the status bar shows that the background gif is being downloaded. I am using IE6 and if it works for you then maybe it is a local setting gone awry - I will go digging.

As a follow up - on another PC (in fact the gateway m/c on my wireless network) the rollovers work fine (also IE6) although I can just catch a flash of a "done" message in the status bar before the URL of the link shows. On the original PC I still get the trail of blank links and "downloading x items" in the status bar. Lokks like it is a local network or PC problem, but I would be interested if anyone else has experienced this.

Remove Ads